2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
Great car, horrible dealership
By njnyarea on 10/20/06 10:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car handles absolutely awesome compared to my Lexus SC300. Not powerful at all, but the fun factor makes up for it. It's decently comfortable and roomy inside.

Zoom-Zoom!
By adam on 10/14/06 16:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new in spring of 03 and couldn't be happier with it. I have kept up with most suggested maintenance and oil changes and have not had to service at all except for brake pads! Car has over 60,000 miles and is running wonderfully. Pickup is still excellent, as is fuel economy. LOVE the six disc in-dash CD changer and the stereo quality is good for stock. Only problem is that FM reception isn't the best.

mini suv
By Marc on 09/05/06 12:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, going from a 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe V6 and I may be a Mazda customer for life now. This car is zoom. I find myself saying that as I do multiple lane changes on the highway. It is my go-cart, but comfortable and with lots of storage. Enough to keep my golden retrievers in the back along with all his fur. Just drove the car 480 miles yesterday and got 33 mpg. Very comfortable seats (back is not stiff at all), great pickup with the manual transmission. Roof rack, sunroof and 6 disk changer are great! Brakes are smooth as silk with the 4 disks. I highly recommend getting one. I feel like I pulled one over on the dealer!

For the money - can't be beat!
By Joe on 08/17/06 08:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is truly a SPORT wagon - handling is truly out of its league and inspires confidence in any driving condition. Throwing it around turns and on-ramps brings a smile to my face every time. Exterior design is fantastic. The fit and finish feels more European with tightly sealing doors, good interior plastics and only 1 rattle - license plate holder (thick insulation tape fixed that). Stereo is more than adequate for a stock system. The fan selector switch malfunctioned but was replaced promptly under warranty. Front fog lights do an excellent job of lighting your way and give the car a rally-like appearance. For the money, the P5 is unrivaled in every way!

OUTSTANDING VALUE
By dmarsh on 07/10/06 08:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased car used from the original owner in June '06. Car had only 15k on the odometer. Ride & handling are exceptional. My P5 is a 5 speed & I consistently average 30 mpg around town. Exterior fit & finish is terrific while the interior materials are comparable to those found in more expensive cars. The car feels tight & solid. Layout of all instruments is very intuitive. Red illuminated instrumentation is easy to read and looks sporty too. I absolutely love this car & find it to be superior to many of the small & midsize cars that GM currently manufactures (I am a former 15-year GM employee). This is not sour grapes, just the truth. Great engineering & content planning by the Mazda team!

Zoom Zoom
By jimbolio on 05/18/06 16:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Protege 5 gives me 33-36 MPG on the freeway pretty reliably. Only about 28 around town (5 speed). Drives like a Ferrari. Hauls like a minivan, and runs like a Rolex.

Awesome...
By Talis on 05/01/06 23:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege5 to replace my first car (a 94 Grand Am). I looked at used and new cars all over NJ, but when I saw this dark blue baby sitting in the back lot I fell in love. My Protege5 is basic with only floor mats and wheel locks added. I love the 5 speed tranny, but I sometimes wish I had 6 to row, and the buzzy 2.0L is lack luster after about 70mph (and 3500rpm in 5th). The rear eats up just about everything and my 6ft-something friend can sit in the back (short trips only) with little complaint. The radio and HVAC controls are VERY easy to use.

Best car I have owned to date
By DarylJ on 03/30/06 07:40 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car suits my needs perfectly. Has the cleanest running engine. The oil is clean every time I check it. Great gas mileage! Highest was 37 mpg on a long trip. Lowest was 27mpg. I get around 30 normally. Great gas mileage means less muscle which is the better trade off for me (2.0L). Because of this the manual version is the way to go. Sporty suspension and tight turning radius makes for great handling (better than my Eclipse). Handles well in snow. Interior spacing is perfect.

Great!
By Edunbar on 03/14/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car, it has been great. I get great gas mileage. Ever since I bought it I have never had a problem. Mazda is a great company and really are striving to make their customers happy. My Mazda Protege5 is like a SUV without the gas mileage. I can fit everything to go camping and rafting in the back without taking all the seating out, etc. It is an awesome car for someone wanting a family vehicle.

The most fun car I have ever owned
By J.J. on 03/02/06 10:05 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my Protege5 used with 47,000 miles, and it's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned! It's a sports car in hatchback (it's a not station wagon) clothes. This car easily satisfies conflicting requirements. It has quick reflexes, goes, stops, and steers very well, and it's a blast to drive down a mountain road. It also has plenty of room for cargo, and can seat 4 medium sized adults comfortably. I only wish it had a better sounding stereo and about 30 or 40 more hp. I get great gas mileage, better than the 25 city 31 hwy rating. I average at least 30 mpg doing about 80% city driving. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a sports car but needs the interior space of a hatchback.