2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
Fun car
By RWW on 11/16/07 07:52 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and so does my 17 yr old son whom I bought it for. Thing is it's so fun to drive and gets such good gas mileage and is so nimble in traffic and did I mention fun to drive and looks sport that I have yet to hand the keys over to him some 8 months later. He can drive the minivan! Seriously, this is a great car that handles and performs extremely well for a car its size and compared to many other cars. It has great leg room for my 6'4" frame and is peppy enough to keep you out of trouble.

Glad the passengers have grab handles!
By harley613 on 09/04/07 13:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Having a blast with my MP5 since I bought it early in the summer. Incredible handling has been the best part of the experience so far. My only grumbles are poor fuel economy at highway speeds, not enough vroom, and a lot of suspension shudder when hitting bumps while cornering hard.

One of the best
By Mazda Fan on 08/30/07 09:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 6 Mazdas (2 626s, 2 MPVs, Millenia, and this Protege) this is the most fun to drive so far. I loved my Millenia, but I missed having a 5-speed, so I traded it in on the Protege. This car, like all Mazdas, has been very reliable. It is fun to drive and it handles very well. I've had 2 other verisons of the 2.0L engine. It is an excellent engine and the one in this Protege is the most powerful so far. My son has the same engine in his Ford Escort. It's no match for the power mine produces.

Can't complain
By Tammy on 04/29/07 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 27,000 miles on my car and needed new tires. Cost over $700 to replace... ouch! I like the looks and feel of this car and no troubles except has had problems staying in alignment. Choppier ride than I care for but I've been in worse cars.

Bang for the buck
By Cameron on 04/08/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car for the money. Leather interior, all power doors, windows, moon roof very good stereo w/ 6cd in-dash player, 6 speakers and subwoofer. Excellent mileage average 30 mixed. 73,000 miles and runs/looks exactly as brand new. Complaints include very noisy driving conditions. Engine revs very high, 5 speed needs to be upshifted very quickly to gain speed Car will not win many races. Not the most quiet, compliant ride but again this is a compact car.

The perfect car.
By Kyosuke on 03/29/07 23:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda Protege 5 for about 3 1/2 years and I absolutely love it. In the beginning I was a bit wary of the fact that it was a wagon rather than a four door, but I had to get it since it was more practical. I love the leather seats. The sound system is amazing, however I change my stereo deck to an Alpine which made the bass a 100 times better. The styling is amazing; one of a kind. Handling is excellent, the aceleration is not too bad for a four cylinder. I especially love the 4 speed tiptronic, which allows you to rev beyond the 6,500 rpm. I wouldn't suggest it, but I've taken it up to 7,000 rpm. Nothing is wrong. It's extremely reliable and no problems whatsoever.

Fun Reliable Car
By Mtoth on 03/29/07 15:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this carr since Aug 2003. I bought this car just before I drove to my first duty station while I was in the Army. This car has made several trips across the US. I have not had to do anything beyond routine maintenance yet to this vehicle. I love this car and plan on keeping it for an extended period of time. I average around 27-29 mpg. I have the 5 speed and notice that it is not as easy to shift in the morning when it is cold. That's to be expected when you have moving gears. I just did my 60,000 mile check up and needed a new timing belt & battery but my car had been mostly in hot weather. I love this car and will own it until it can't be driven anymore.

Mazda Protege5
By 323familia on 03/19/07 10:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I have ever owned hands down. Needs a little more power, but overall great car!

Fun car, but unfixable problems
By mike187 on 03/17/07 10:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the most fun vehicle I have owned. Looks cool and handles awesome. I bought new and planned on owning it a long time. I properly maintained this vehicle from day one. At around 20K my MP5 started having problems. Squeaks from the front and rear suspension over bumps. The rear noise was fixed, but after multiple visits the front was never fixed. During warm weather, the vehicle smells strongly of coolant. The radiator was replaced, but it still smells of coolant. The auto-transmission leaks -- multiple visits, multiple attempts to fix, still leaks on my floor! Worst of all, the car intermittently would die after pulling away from a stop. Looked at many times. Never fixed.

My favorite car
By ffffurrrr on 11/29/06 05:33 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is probably the 5th car I've owned over the years (I tend to keep them for 8 years or so), the 2nd Mazda, and my favorite. It's fun to drive, gets reasonably good mileage, and turns and parks easily. I've not had any issues with it, my only gripe being that it came with high-performance tires that cost major dollars to replace. But since that's the only money besides regular maintenance that I've had to shell out on it, I guess I can't complain too much. :)