Used 2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )

Great handling....poor quality
By newtonguy

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Mazda has created a car with tight steering, good pickup (with the manual transmission) and a sporty appearance. However, check this list…roofrack loud road noise, new auxiliary fan, rusted rear brake caliper pin, new EGR valve, poor power window performance, new rotors needed at 18,000 miles, and A/C turning on without me pressing the A/C button. Gas Mileage is poorer than on the sticker and exterior paint and sturdiness is less than adequate. At 1 year, my trade value was $9K. I spent over $15K. It's a shame because the car is fun to drive and looks great but steer clear of Mazda.

Favorite Features

Sound system is great (needs to be to block out the road noise), interior is sporty, great handling, good amount of power from the manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make rotors "thinner" so that they are not as heavy and therefore save on gas mileage. Check wind noise on hwy before releasing to the public. Has "Mazda testing" tried to have a conversation while in the car on the hwy?

I finally found the love of my life
By suzpaintit

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to tell you I have always wanted a fun sporty little car and this little yellow bird brings my heart back to my teens. It's kicken! runs like shes on rails and still lets me do the Mom thing and when people stop and watch us drive by well let me tell you. This is the car everyone should drive at least once I know you'll have as much fun as I have will will continue to have

Favorite Features

Interior, Steering, sound system, color sun/moon roof

Suggested Improvements

Non why fix it if it isnt broken :-)

Great car
By bridge

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Easy to drive. Takes the curves well. Good gas milege. Ike the seat going down and it is a wagon.

Favorite Features

The shape of the car.looks like a sport car,

Suggested Improvements

INterior or dash

a true
By Gwa71

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The best thing I can say about this car is that it is soooooo much fun to drive. The most fun is found on a deserted curvy road and the least fun is found sitting in traffic. This car begs to run.

Favorite Features

smooth shift and engine, precise steering and a nice cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

a higher gear for the highway

Great car - great value!
By InfoMan

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently decided to replace my VW Golf TDI with Protege5. Allthough the diesel mileage was nice, I needed something more exciting but still affordable. Protege5 seams to be the right choice. Reliability should be excellent, it has all the equipment I was looking for, it is a lot of fun to drive and I got used to this car in one afternoon. handling and braking is excellent, better than almost any car in this class. Build quality is very good and price was surprisingly low for what you're getting. I added auto trans, ABS and side air bags to the basic configuration and paid 15K includung all taxes and fees!

Favorite Features

Handling, comfortable seats, lot of room for family of four. Stuling is very nice. Lot of nice features.

Suggested Improvements

Few more HP would be nice, fuel economy could be better.