2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
Excellent car, aggressive styling
By zoomed on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome vehicle. Looked at the civic, corolla and finally the proteze 5. spent weeks on deciding civic or corolla, but on the first visit to the mazda dealer, loved the car and bought it an hour later. Even my kids love it and will not ride in the jeep anymore. This one drives good and it is really fun driving around in the city. Handles tight turns very well.

FUUUUUUNNNNNNN. .zzzzooooommmmmm
By arby96921 on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

fun little car... don't need the 200+ horsepower on a small sedan... 130 hp is sufficient enough.. not only is it fun but has a nice "kick" on take off.. this is a car i would diffinetely keep to pass on to my teenage boy... (this is a keeper)

Best you can get for your dollar
By wrn108 on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think this car might be the best value for your dollar on the market. It provides a great deal of cargo room/versatility and is a blast to drive. A lot is made of the lack of horsepower...if you are looking for a Mustang, then you are in the wrong market. This car is not underpowered by any means. Would it be more fun with 20-30 more horsepower? Of course. But again, I was not looking for a dragster and I have been extremely happy with the gas mileage I've been getting. (low of 28 high of 32 in mixed driving) On the fun to drive scale, this car is off the charts. It begs to be flogged and thrown mercilessly into corners.

DSAP Dead Solid (Almost Perfect)
By Slamminator on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Only lacking in power off the line (Auto Trans.). Sounds and drives like a little race car in all other respects. I bought the automatic as the better half doesn't use the stick. The manual shift option adds another dimension to it! My 17 Y/O said it's like they slapped a hatch on the back of a sports car. Exceeded almost all of my expectations Met ALL of them

bad azz
By penguin on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car a little over 3 months. I bought my Protege5 out of nessecity. My car was biting the dust rapidly. As soon as I test drove the Mazda I knew the car was mine. My car has had no problems, and the ads saying that the Protege5 was fun to drive was no lie. In short...I love my car.

Best sport-compact wagon available
By magicjnkie on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Simply all out FUN TO DRIVE!! I sampled each of the comparable vehicles:PT Cruiser, Focus & the Matrix/Vibe twins...taking each for an extended test drive...then I made my choice... The Mazda may be just a touch short on power...but the 130 HP it does provide comes on strong & willing & SMOOTH...The steering is absolutely the high point...just point & go...response from the wheel is accurate & firm. The suspension is tight & grippy..this car was made for cornering! What about the price? Mine came loaded with sunroof, chrome alloys & the compass/self dimming mirror.. all for $16,200...try getting all this in a Matrix!!

back killer
By alakeperson on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

great handling, reliable, everything works well, people always with compliments on car appearance/looks, had problem with a/c blower, dealer repaired it but disorganized bad service, long waits

Do you have this too?
By vasq on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm guilty for crying out loud. I walk away from the car and check it out as I am going along. It's so hot. But there's a hitch: it's 2 months old and makes a rattling/almost low clatter when the engine's cold, does yours? The dealership denies it(took it in 2X) but is obvious as hell. Started about a month after I got it. Besides that, LOVE IT!

Best of three worlds!
By Simon_mtl on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a cool car: Nice styling, comes almost fully loaded, fun to drive, practical and affordable. The cargo space rather small so this car has to be considered as a 5 doors hatchback rather than a wagon. It's a combination of sport, utility and economy in one sub-compact car. Great!

Great Car, Great Fun
By Equinox on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Originally wanted a Mazda MP3, and learned to love the Protege5 just the same. Very sporty, extremely unique look, aggresize styling, resembles a BMW M Coupe.