Used 2003 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )

My P5
By Jana D

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I went looking for my first brand new car- I was expecting a lot from the car I chose. The only specific ideas I had were that I wanted a hatchback, but I also wanted four door. I wanted a sporty yet comfortable car that I could play in on the weekends and that would be reliable in any situation. It took me five months of research to find the car I eventually bought, and I must say it was worth the time and effort I put into finding my new car. I am more confident in my driving because of it. I love that the back seats lay down for extra cargo room, but it isn't a huge "soccer mom" car that most people picture when you say "wagon". I love my car!

the extra cargo room you get when laying down the seats,The easy access feature of the "keyless" entry, the white backing and orange glow of the dash components- the six speaker system and the stock 16" rims

I am only five foot two inches tall, and the driver seat adjustments sometimes are not adjustable enough

Must have sport compact car
By CRSMP5

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for less then 3 months and put 9000 miles on it. I had a V-6 Accord with several aftermarket parts before I bought the P5. The P5 will out-handle the Accord any day of the week. The car is much more stable cornering and gives you confidence entering any corner. The car is under powered, but not terribly slow. Not going to win any drags with this car. The 5-spd revs high and is enjoyable to drive. reat stereo and looks are additional compliments. I have owned Honda's for 10 years now and this was my first Mazda. I am a big fan of the company now and would recommend this over a Civic anyday. Give Mazda a shot - they won't let you down!!

Handling - great car to take on the back roads. Excellent stock stereo - with subwoofer and 6-cd player. Sharp looking car for price.

It could you use slightly more horsepower. Need to really rev the engine to get the most out of it. Controls on steering wheel for stero (like the MPV has). Xenon headlight option.

Great Standard Options
By skier

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have this car about a year and a half and have put a little over 20,00 miles on it. We like snow sports and take long trips almost every weekend. It is comfortable for me and my 6'2" husband. With the seats down it is very roomy and the uneven split back seat lets you carry people and your skis, boards, etc. The standard options for this car include power windows/locks, a.c., and CD player. I find it very peppy (standard trans) and fun to drive. The interior has held together perfectly considering the use we give it. Gas mieage and acceleration are great for long trips.

The back seats very easily fold down to give you cargo room.

The plastic bumpers could be improved. Four-wheel or all-wheel drive would be great.

ZOOMZOOM_18
By ZOOMZOOMALLDAY

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

HAD THE CAR FOR 2 DAYS NOW. LOVE THE SERVICE I RECEIVED,NO FUSS NO HASSLE. THE CAR HANDLES AND PERFORMS GREAT FOR A 4 BANGER! I LOVE THE EXTERIOR/INTERIOR. THE LEATHER IS COOL AND 6 DISK CHANGER ROCKS! I GOT A GREAT DEAL FOR ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES.

BODY STYLE,PERFORMANCE,HANDLING,LEATHER,6 DISK CHANGER,AND EVERRRRRRRYTHING ABOUT IT!

ARMREST BETWEEN THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER. 1ST AND 2ND GEAR WEAK. A LITTLE MORE HORSES.

Let's Keep This a Secret
By Happy Girl

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had had my Protege 5for about two days. I was looking at Volkswagon Golfs but found the the PR5 to have a better value. It's a lot more fun to drive and seems roomier than the GTI or Golf. Overall, I'm really suprised that I don't see more of these buggers out on the road, considering all the manufacturer's great incentives. The car seems overwhelming with it's perks, considering that I was driving a gas guzzling 4x4 pickup before.

The flashy classic red, leather seats, power everything, 6cd changer, smooth lane changes, love it!

Cupholders and side door pockets would be nice in the back but I haven't had too many passengers yet.