2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
BMW Road Hugging at a Ford Price
By RotaryRat on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit 5000 miles on the car and it is still a blast to drive. This car has a firm and sporty suspension that makes winding roads fun to drive through. The engine is sufficient to provide a sporty feel yet provide good fuel economy at the same time. I am glad I waited to get the 2003 model with the factory perforated leather (less than $400 invoice price) because it really makes the whole car seem like it cost a lot more than it did. When I describe the vehicle to family and friends on the phone as a small economy car that I paid $15,800 for they are really surprised when they actually see it!

Proto 5 Review
By winlet on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new Proto 5. All options, sweet leather seats and steering wheel, fun to drive, love to corner it. Drives much better than my new Jetta that I sold. (Had all kinds of problems with that car) This car looks sweet and puts all the zoom, zoom, zoom it claims in it's performance. No problem with acceleration here.

Fun
By Nickohos on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way my car feels when I drive it because it handles like a dream. What the Protege'5 lacks in power compared to it's competitors, it more than makes up for in torque and excellent handling. I test drove quite a few cars and none of them were as fun to drive as the Mazda.

Buy Now!
By DMC on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun, fast, great value. Why doesn't every car maker produce cars like this? Nothing else in its class even comes close (and I've owned all of the others).

What a bargain!
By Climbhi on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Incredible brakes and handling. The tiptronic transmission makes an otherwise so-so 4 speed automatic more than tolerable. The car is built incredibly well. Fit and finish are Lexus quality. Interior driver controls are excellent, ride is smooth and communcative, outward vision excellent. Talk about a car that is easy to drive. It provides a sense of sureness.

Best vehicle I've ever bought
By Hector on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far this car has been an A+ performer. Looks, good performance, and the cornering ability of a tuned up sports car makes this truly a fun car to drive, could use a bit more power up front which I plan to add with the Turbo kit. Excellent purchase.

Best vehicle I've ever bought
By hector on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Fun, Fun, Fun
By silverstreak on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The choice was between the Protege5 and the Matrix/Vibe. The PR5 has sportier looks and performance. Exterior styling not as radical as the Matrix/Vibe. I wanted a carpeted cargo area. Interior cloth looks like brushed suede and looks classy. This car seems to appeal to all ages, from the middle aged to teens that like to customize their cars. I find myself volunteering to bring my kids places and run errands just to drive it more. Zoom Zoom!

Wagon with zip
By Schultz on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Protege5 is fun to drive and a practical little hauler. The car gets great gas mileage -- about 27 in the city -- yet it has plenty of pep when getting on the freeway or out of trouble. Fold down second seats make for a nice-sized flat cargo area. The paint allows for a great shine and the wheels are quite stylish. I have gotten rave reviews from neighbors and friends. Great little car.

Mazda Protege5
By mdecker on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive. It has a great fun factor. I have the 5 speed manual tranny. This is like having a Miata with room.