2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
the perfect car
By happyP5 on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many cars. None have performed like my Protege5. It is fun; it is roomy; and it has never needed any significant work. I take long trips with it. I use it for weekend ski trips, kayak trips, canoe trips, camping, and every day to and from work. At 90,000 miles, I paid about $1000 to have a total overhaul including new timing belt/chain. Other than that, I've never done anything more than routine oil changes. I don't think the newer Mazda 3 is this good. In fact, it's about $5k more (I bought my protege5 for $14,999) and not as good quality and not as fun. I'm a lucky man! Oh, the cd stopped working, so I have an aftermarket Sony stereo. Everything else is stock.

Extemely reliable and fun to drive
By Hugo Munoz on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot say anything bad about this car. bought with 9000 and have changed brakes this year. Engine, Transmission,clutch etc. are all working strong. Perfect car for anyone. ONLY defects are headlight bulb = $25, air filter hose = $90. Other than that car is completely perfect.

Couldn't ask for more
By mfs on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my P5 brand new, and couldn't be happier with it 7 years later. No one can believe it has 178,000 miles on it, it still looks and runs great. Haven't had to do anything to it other than maintenance. Average 34 MPG during summer, 30 in the winter on my mostly highway commute. Road noise louder than avg, but nothing you don't get used to. Have to pay a little extra for tires, but that's more than made up for with what I save in gas and repairs. Great Car.

Don't know what to do.
By Runt29 on 06/28/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car new with 0 miles on it and when I bought it after a test drive it had 53. Great car at 1st but then tons of issues. Now at 120,000 miles I am having the car miss when driving and it idles rough at times. One day it has issues then the next day it runs fine. I already had it in the shop 5 times and at two different places and they keep putting parts in and the next week same issue. I suggest to watch before you buy. Car is fast and a sweet ride but not worth the buck since it will cost you tons of money and the tires are hard to find and $$. Plus the trade in value is very low.

Zoom zoom
By STS28540 on 06/03/10 17:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since I was a kid I always wanted a Mazda for the cool little catch phrase in the commercial "Zoom-Zoom" It wasn't until last year that a station wagon could really have the power to go like this one does, there is a huge stabilizer bar under the hood so I can take incredible turns. I am so satisfied with this car, however because they are discontinued I am not sure if I would like to buy another Mazda, I am considering the new 6 but we will see in time. Mine is a 5-speed Manual and I have the issue with cup holders, they are in a REALLY bad place you hit them all the time and I cut my finger open the other day on a cup. All I can say is ZOOM-ZOOM.

Love the car, dissappointed in service
By yellowstoneguy on 05/06/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new and loved it for 45,000 miles. Had a screw come loose from the intake and go through the engine prior to a recall for that very thing. Fixed the misfire, but started having black/blue smoke issues and had to replaced smashed plug. Whitten Bros. "did" the recall work and claimed no problems, yet when I had to rebuild the engine 1 year later due to smoke, discovered in fact that one of the screws they'd "checked and replaced" had indeed gone through my engine, pitted pistons, destroyed catalytic, fouled engine. Runs great again now, but had to rebuild myself because Whitten Brothers wouldn't live up to what happened and didn't have money/trust for the stealership to fix.

Takes a lickin...
By webby32 on 04/19/10 11:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Protege5 in 2006 with 44500 miles on it, only issues I've had is a pesky ABS light. Aside from that Oil changes and a pair of brake pads. Great car from a reliability stand point, great mileage. Mazda had the right idea when they built this car should get 200000 miles easily.

Almost perfect--except transmission
By HBIII on 02/21/10 08:07 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my P5 brand new in July 2003. Put about 18k miles/yr in highway commuting. No harsh driving, always take it slow and steady. All maintenance performed as required. Everything was great up til 110k miles. The overdrive gear in the automatic transmission failed and I had to replace the AT ($3000). I've had other Mazdas/Toyotas and nothing like this has ever happened (and shouldn't happen with only 110k mi). I'm not sure this is an isolated issue or systemic. Anyway, I really like this car, but reliability is in question. Probably my last Mazda.

Fun car with some annoying quirks
By DCdriver on 02/02/10 06:01 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2008 looking for a sporty hatchback on the cheap. At the time there wasn't much in the offering, unlike today where it seems like hatchbacks have caught on again. It's a great car for most occasions with plenty of "get-up", lots of room with the seats down, and a great exterior (imho). Unfortunately it's not without its problems: anything exhaust related (EGR valve for instance, the fact that it has TWO cat. converters that like to fail!) and of course the headlights, as most other reviewers have mentioned. All in all it's a fun car, but if I had to do it again I might have spent a little more money and gone for a Mazda3.

protege fun
By protegepal on 01/25/10 15:30 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned my car for 7 years and still love it. I have a manual transmission and this car is fun to drive and feels/looks sporty. Roomy for four of us and luggage. Still gets great mileage. Hard to find tires for it that aren't expensive and not the greatest in the snow, but those are my only complaints. I get tons of compliments on it as well.