2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )
LOVE MY P5
By davi3 on 08/01/13 11:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 P5 new...have had for 10 years now. It has 287,000 miles! I plan to get as many miles as I possibly can out of her. It is a manual trans and I've kept the timing belt replaced at regular intervals and have only ever used synthetic oil. The thermostat quit once but was a very simple fix. The headlight have always been a headache. I used to would have to replace them seemingly constantly. I love driving this car and don't feel like I will ever like another car as much as I like this one...unless it was a suped up chevelle or something :) cheap car, cheap on gas & fun to drive.

Amazing
By rylie1 on 07/16/13 22:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for three weeks. I loved it. Unfortunately a guy turned in front of me without looking. My car got totaled. This car saved my life. The paramedics could not believe how much the car was squished and not me. Besides the normal symptoms of a crash, I am way better than I should be. This is one amazing car in all aspects.

Don't Bother
By carsbite on 06/07/13 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Automatic transmission died at 110,000 miles. This is pretty unacceptable for anyone looking for reliable transportation considering cars from most other makers don't have this problem. I baught this car used and did my research. I got it well taken care of and I continued regular maintenence(all fluids regularly changed including trans fluid) Changed timing belt and water pump etc. There were some minor repairs like the alternator and an intake hose too. But then the transmission started slipping and I took it to a mazda specialist. He said this was unfortunatly a common problem for these cars.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
By darkmattress on 01/31/13 14:08 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 10 years now and it has been nothing but good to me. I always took it to the dealership so anything related to maintenance and the few recalls were taken care of properly. I put a few modifications on it early on (Injen CAI, Racing Beat Catback Exhaust, Short Shifter) and have enjoyed even better performance and fun driving. Granted, this car is not going to win any drag races, but it is has decent pep and loves corners! Very reliable- never had anything beyond regular wear and tear in 10 years.

200,000 miles and counting...
By christieg on 06/29/12 13:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 Mazda Protege5 in 10/2002 and have been glad every day since! I have had the clutch replaced in the past 2 years along with the compressor and the catalytic converter and the drivers side widow thingy. I feel like after 7 years, this is normal. The head-light bulbs have been a bit of a nuisance, having to replace frequently, but being able to replace them myself, i'm just out the cost of the bulb, which isn't much. If you know the car has had regular maintenance, it will not let you down.

Absolutely Love It.
By kenmo on 09/16/11 19:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I work at a car rental company at an airport, so I drive brand new 2011-2012 cars all day long. This car is on par with these brand new cars, in my opinion. Everything about it is wonderful. The features, the handling, the styling, the utility, the mileage!. It's by far my favorite car to drive out of all I have driven!

It's been a good car, more or less
By ceecee9 on 08/21/11 14:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 P5 in June of 05 with about 36,000. At 60 ish the head gaskets blew...which was an expensive fix. Other than that it's been regular maintenance which is begining to become quite frequent. My one major complaint is the tires are expensive and hard to find. Oh- And my other major complaint is two of the rear seat belts are broken and are very expensive to fix. My car has 134,000...and i'm in the process of researching and buying a new one.

Best car I've ever owned
By crawlnstall on 03/16/11 20:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought Stella, my 2003 Mazda Protege5, about 14 months ago. It had 95,000 miles on it and now has 105,000. I was previously driving an old beat up Honda. It was a night and day difference between the two. It looks beautiful and new. Interior is great. Bad placement on the cupholders, only bad part of the interior. It is a fun, zippy quick car with great gas mileage. Stock tires drive terribly in any kind of snow, if you buy snow tires like I did its does amazing in snow, but stock tires are awful in snow. Cupholders and tires are only complaints. I absolutely love everything else about my amazingly fun to drive protege5.

Great car
By eric90 on 01/29/11 03:12 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Me and my girlfriend have been driving this car 166 000 km (100 000 miles), since 2003. The car is great fun to drive, very reliable and comfortable for long road trips (many 6 hrs + trips in the bag). Other than standard maintenance, we've had few repairs on this car. Good fuel consumption for a sporty performance. Nothing bad to say about this car !

Great car at a great price
By chumly on 01/03/11 10:30 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege 5 in January 2004 for $13,900 due to it's being replaced by the Mazda 3. I'm on my 7th year and it has been a great car! I have 160,000 miles and I've had few issues. At 120,000 miles it started running rough and I found that the hose connecting the airbox to the intake was cracked. It cost about $90. At 100,000 miles I replaced the timing belt, belts, hoses, water pump for about $1000 through the dealer. Other than that it has been basic maintenance and has been very reliable. It now needs new struts, but otherwise works fine. I hope to get a few more years out of it.