PROTEGE 5 STILL A WINNER
By mustangleader on
2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I have written a couple of reviews. Bought new in May 2002. Reviews stating car is bad, guessing that either bought car used, abuse it driving or in bad weather areas. I'm in So Cal. Runs great after 195,000 miles. Only a fuel pump at 80,000 and a new alternator recently. Normal maintenance. Still original clutch. That's reliability. Drives like a go kart in twisties gets 31 highway 24-25 in town. Combine: 27 mpg. Complaints light bulbs burning out 2 often - it's bulb holder the problem, not bulb. Just drove 2011 Mazda 2 selling 4 what I paid 4 PR5, no comparison. 2 slower/smaller. Tested Honda Fit, sits 2 high. Not as fun 2 drive. Also smaller. 2 bad Mazda stopped making PR5.
Favorite Features
Driving on smooth roads and in the twisties. Though complaints of loud engine, added K&N cold air filter, Magna Flow muffler & reprogram computer for extra power. Much better sound. Combining extra power for not much money and the car's driving abilites, a great everyday car. Sports car driving position and white dials makes me feel I'm drivng a sports car. It's not pure speed like 2002 WRx that makes a car. It's the total package if you are looking for a fun car to drive daily. For size of car, more than enough cargo space when folding rear seats down.
Suggested Improvements
If you find the car underpowered which some owners feel but overlook almost all owners say the car is fun to drive, add the aftermarket equipment I did, you won't feel the car is under powered. Should have had culp holders on the side of front doors like Mazda and other auto makers do now on their models.
By esnug
on 06/26/13 16:54 PM (PDT)

Purchasing a car used should not make it a poor purchase. Some cars simply suck and some are lemons. Living in a place where salt is used on the road does make a difference and undercoating should be used but when our Mazda rotted out from under us...it wasn't because well cared for (undercoated every year) or driven poorly...it was because it was a rusty piece of crap that a Mazda dealer sold to us that already had holes in the frame. Shoddy business if you ask me...on top of a cheap crappy car.