2002 Mazda Protege5 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - One recurring problem

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

One recurring problem
By Peter R. on

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially happy with the car. The handling was superb and it suited my needs. However the odd size tires 195/55 16 are hard to find and expensive. The worst part has been the brakes. The left rear caliper siezed after 18 months and was fixed under warranty. I have had the same problem occur two more times in 7 years of ownership. I have replaced the rear rotors twice and the rear calipers once in 80,000. Plus 2 sets of pads and a rebuild of the the seized caliper twice. This is an unacceptable issue in my mind. My benchmark is my 1994 corolla that had zero problems in 120,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Sporty drive, lots of nice standard options at a reasonable price, station wagon needs with non-station wagon look.

Suggested Improvements

Tire size was totally odd. Hard to find size. Not thrilled with the longevity of them either. Brakes. In my experience, they have been a major problem and I have had them worked on almost ever other year since owning the car.