I call my P5 Little Zippy
By mrt823 on
2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car used 4.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I did a lot of research before hand and this car just completely blew away the competition in safety, looks, and pure driving enjoyment. My husband is used to his truck, but even he loves the pep of this car. Now that gas has skyrocketed, I'm getting an even better deal, averaging 27 mpg in town/30 hwy. I dumped the standard sport tires after replacing each one twice in short order. They are super responsive, but very expensive and low longevity. I replaced a broken thermometer on it about 15 months ago (~$90 with labor) and that has been my only cost, other than reg. maintenance.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive--very agile and responsive, great gas mileage, incredible amount of cargo room, roomy for tall people (I'm 5'9", husband is 6'2"), sporty look and feel, very intuitive controls, high safety ratings, engine has great pep for 4 cyl.
Suggested Improvements
Standard sport tires are expensive to replace and wear out/blow out fast. Rubber mat for cargo area should be standard, roof racks make sun roof unbearably noisy on highway