Great Everyday Car
By mustangleader on
2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
This is the best overall car I have owned for everyday use. I just purchased 2007 Speed3 with turbo which is obviouly a faster car. However, I like the PR5 because it drives like a go-kart. Original power was good but added a turbo muffler, cold air intake and had the computer reprogammed. Total cost was $800 which was well spent. I have plenty of power to pass on So Cal highways. I have 143,000, same clutch and only water pump had to be replaced. With slight modifications which I did, the car is great: fun to drive with its cornering ability, highway over 32 mpg if I keep the speed under 80. A great, dependable fun car. Speed3 is faster, but PR5 is easier to drive.
Favorite Features
Corner and handling ability. Sounds great with muffler and cold air filter intake. Mazda has more useable torque power at lower rpm to not notice any lack of power driving in town. More than adequate cargo space when I put rear seats down.
Suggested Improvements
Mazda could have added a little power but the Toy Matrix had similar hp unless you purchased the larger engine for much higher price. If you think the car is underpowered, add the aftermarket changes I did, you will want to keep the car forever.