Great, Reliable, Versitile, Fun to Drive Car
By midwestboiler on
2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I got this car in 2005 and have loved every mile I have driven in it. While it's only a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter, the protege5 definitely doesn't slack on pickup. The ride seems louder than normal, but that is due to how low to the ground the car is. The Protege5 has held up extremely well. Other than changing the oil, tires, brakes etc. the only actual maintenance I have had done was replace the air intake at about 80,000 miles. The seats are very comfortable. While the car is on the smaller side, it is easy to seat 4 adult males well in the car. If needed, I have added someone in the middle seat. There is still room, but a little more cramped in the back seat.
Favorite Features
-Very unique looking car. -Comfortable seats -Most reliable car I have had. -Perfect for high school/college driver. -Front wheel drive provides much better traction in snow. -My friends that are 6'4" can fit fairly well in the car. -Great handling -Brakes are effective and not too touchy. -Small size allows to park in compact spaces.
Suggested Improvements
-Gas mileage should be better based on its size.(about 26 mpg with combined city and highway driving) Should be closer to 30mpg in my opinion. -When seats are folded down, there are two levels (backs of seats laid down are higher than trunk). -Very difficult to change your own oil due to the oil filter not being easily accessible from under the car.