2002 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Review: Don't want a new car :(

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Don't want a new car :(
By My3Demons on

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my yellow P5. Bought it used in 03 & I'm trying not to cry now that I need a mini van. I love the way it looks, handles, & the room. Even with 3 kids in car seats! Only thing wrong is the paint. It's SO faded, even with weekly baths. I live in Florida, maybe that's why? My shift plate (R D N 2-etc.) is damaged and will cost me $125 to fix, let the next owner do that. My other issue is at 60,000 miles my tranny keeled over. I drive it like I stole it & like a mom. Mazda said it was probably previous owner; it had 27,000 on it after only 1 year. Now at 74,000 it still acts a little funny, hope that tranny stays put. :) But otherwise I LOVE it and still get people asking me about it. My fave car so far!

Where to start...EVERYTHING. Stereo sounds better than my 01 Jetta 1.8T did. Love the handling, interior, & how it looks. Even love how I can find it in any parking lot no matter where I park. :) I spent $8,000 more on my Jetta & the Mazda is a better car! Go figure!

Paint, transmission, tires - I found a guy at the local Mazda dealership that gets me generic ones for $80 a tire. Otherwise in my area they cost $185 plus each. With 3 kids I need the discount. :) Luggage rack has damage from a rock & it whistles. Minor cosmetics basically. Dealership here is helpful.