2002 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Review: A Blast To Drive...

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

A Blast To Drive...
By DuManchu on

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in the spring of 05. I put on about 30K miles in the time I owned it. Only had to replace brake pads and resurface the disks. The car has been perfect. The only other problem with it was the 12V socket pulling out from me overusing it, but I understand it's a common problem on these. This car is just hands down a BLAST to drive. I'll recall a time I was on "Peak-to-Peak" in Colorado (west of Denver) and I was trailing an Acura 3.2CL. While I couldn't keep up with him on the straights, I gained serious ground on the turns. I was cornering so hard I got DIZZY at one point but the car never wavered. The only thing this car NEEDS is 30-40 more HP.

HANDLING, HANDLING, HANDLING.... MPG's and comfort are good too. Reliability, build quality, driver feel, silky 5-speed, looks... I could go on for days

Stock stereo system is "meh", Road noise (but hey, it's an "economy" car), and the brittle paint. A bit bussy on the highway, could have probably used a 6th gear.