2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Loving it!
By TheHonza on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is a thrill to drive. Sharp handling and sits very well on the road. The exterior looks aggressive and is a handy little hauler!

My Mazda Protege-5
By PrincipezzaJen on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been mildly pleased with this car. I like that is has pep, and a sporty look on the inside. It does not drive well in the rain/snow/ice. It hydroplains very easily and is very unstable in the snow. There are limited tires that you can purchase for this car, and they are very expensive and NOT good in adverse weather conditions. The tires you get for the car are very soft and wear down faster than other cars. I've had to get the wheels balanced many many times. The roof rack makes a lot of wind noise, and the cross beams have to be removed. I have not been able to find a comfortable position in my drivers seat-knobs very hard to turn.

perfect for me
By john dixon on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Not the fastest acceleration in the world, but between cargo space, comfort, quality, HANDLING, and style this car is perfect. It also comes very equipped at a very good price.

Fun fun fun
By Egprotege5 on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a reliable, economical, fun to drive compact, this one is for you. I am the proud owner of a 2002 Protege5 that has 83000 miles on it and it still looks, runs and rides as if I bought it last week. Fuel mileage is excellent on this car as I regularly get 30 miles to the gallon. Even after all these miles, the interior is still rattle free. If I had to complain about onything, it would be the unimpressive power that this de-tuned 2.0L engine produces (130hp/135lb-ft). Handling is impeccable and ride is firm, but not jarring. Braking is of the best that I have ever felt. Mazda made a winner with this car.

Awesome
By SDTH on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased the Mazda "P-5" as we are calling it. We went for a new car and could not take our eyes off this baby. Used (2002), with 20,000 miles. Mica yellow and fun as all get out. A five minute test drive convinced us that this was our car. Just returned from a 1,900 mile road trip and the car performed exceptional in all aspects!

wow the car is tough
By spanishfly on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

For the price and comfort there is no FUNNER car to drive than the P-5

My Mazda Protege-5
By JRenee on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car drives great. The tires are a bit soft and therefore wear out more quickly. Tires are not good in the snow. I've had isses with keeping the tires balanced. Car easily skids to the side if making a sharp turn. The driver's seat isn't as comfortable as I'd like for my low back support. The steering wheel can be uncomfortable. The wind whistles through the roofrack and can be annoying. Other than that it's a great car! :)

Ride on Rails
By Puckster on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Sure, it's only been a few weeks, but never has 130hp thrilled me so much. It kills me that Mazda cars get short-changed in the market-- they are SO well-designed... A friend of mine has had two Proteges over a span of eight years with not a single problem among them. He also got blind-sided hard and walked away from it with just a sore neck. This reeks to me of good design, which is why I bought my black beauty...

LOVE MY PR5
By katielyles502 on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Its just an all around great car.

Good Ride
By Roy Keane1 on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive, small (enough storage space however) , and easy to get around the city...