2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Easily the best small wagon
By Jello Anderson on 06/04/05 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My white 5 is a manual with the 6 disc changer. This is a wonderful city car due to the excellent handling and the quick acceleration from 0-40, though at about 40 the acceleration slows considerably, making highway driving a bit boring. The gas mileage is a little disappointing, but still ranks considerably high. The sound system performs quite well without skips and sounds great. The rear cargo area is lit only by a side light, which makes a flashlight necessary to really find anything at night. The tires hydroplane very easily, but this almost never results in any fish-tailing. I have had a few minor problems with the headlights. Overall, this is a great, ultra-reliable car.

I love this car!
By Chris on 05/31/05 21:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say. I've had the car for two years now and I love it! Many will complain that it doesn't have enough power, however I am satisfied with the 130hp. It out performs anything in its class so what more do you want? This car has a sports car feel while still remaining utilitarian and economical. Mazda got this one right, I can't say the same for its predecessor, the Mazda3. I won't be trading in my Protege5 anytime soon.

I'm a Very Happy Boy
By tman on 05/04/05 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since the Protege5's first came out I have always admired them for their sleek design. Every time I saw one on the road I drooled with envy. Recently, when I found myself needing a new car I found one at a local CarMax with only 21,000 miles. Took if for a drive and absolutely fell in love with it. I did a lot of research beforehand and one thing I read over and over again was regarding the lack of power. Honestly, I don't understand what everyone is talking about. Maybe it is because I was driving a pickup the last couple years but I can honestly say that if this car has plenty of pep and energy for me and I am someone who likes to drive hard and fast.

Zoom Zoom Zoom
By izoomzoom on 03/28/05 15:42 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gotta love that catchy little tune. It looked good so I test drove it. Got a pretty good deal and I needed to go from 12 MPG to 30 MPG since my commute changed. Needs more power and the stock tires really stink. I had a Miata and had great success with Toyo Proxes 4's so I got a set of Proxes FZ4's for this and they're great. Snow/rain/bone dry all very good and no slippage. Fun car to drive even in traffic. May consider the M3 if they do a hybrid when this car goes.

Love my zoom zoom
By shayshay on 01/23/05 21:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had to hold out a little while to get my P5 because I wanted the leather interior and tip-tronic shift, but it was worth the wait. I still smile when I look at my car and often get compliments on it. It is a blast to drive and I have yet to have any major problems with it. The interior is comfortable to sit in, cornering is exceptional, and the hatch cover makes a great table to use at tailgate parties! Gas mileage is a bit lower than I anticipated but not bad. The only other dislike is that the paint seems to chip rather easily.

Good Car for What I Paid
By allister on 01/20/05 22:43 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used at CarMax. It has 36K and is a good deal at $12,500 with all the extras including ABS. This is the first non-Honda I've driven in 10 years. I am having to get used to the poor gas mileage compared to my Honda's 30+ MPG. City driving I get anywhere between 23-27.5 if I drive like grandpa. I like the roominess. I wish it had a better stereo. Also a lot of squeeks and noises from the front dash and doors. I read other reviews and this seems like the norm. The deal I got I can't complain. I wish for better mileage. Otherwise happy so far.

Fun little daily driver
By LTDScott on 12/16/04 17:29 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for an economical smaller car with plenty of room and good handling. This car fit the bill perfectly. I've owned it for 10K miles and have had no mechanical problems at all (except for annoying clutch shudder when cold). I'm 6'3" and fit just fine and have had 4 other passengers in the car in reasonable comfort. The wagon body style means lots of room to haul stuff with the back seats folded down. Power is a little weak but adequate for daily driving. Stock shifter sucks, but kartboy makes a nice replacement. Handling is awesome for an econobox and the car is super fun to drive. I love the looks inside and out. Luckily the roof rack is removable. Overall great!

Nice little hatch
By Kenny on 12/10/04 09:48 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't like those common small cars. It was made in Japan and not as common as other Japanese sedans. I test drove the sedan but didn't like the seats and ride. I bought a Protege5 because it had more comfortable seats and and gave me a little bit of "road feel". The driving experience of the hatch was more closed to my old Saab (Of course the Saab was better). I don't understand why people don't like hatchback. It doesn't have typical noise from a hatchback. The car performs quite good in the city but it is quite noisy at highway speed. The autostick stick is fun but it needs a 5-speed auto instead of a 4-speed auto.

fun to drive, engine keeps you honest
By snausage on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In another 2 weeks, I will have owned my P-5 for three years. It's been very reliable, gas mileage is decent, and it's fun to drive. The only downside, aside from the tire issue, is the lackluster engine performance. My previous car, an Acura Integra, had a very torquey engine. You step on the gas and the car moves. Trying to get the P-5 to accerate out of a turn or pass traffic on a two lane highway is often very frustrating. You have to rev the engine really high to get the car to move with authority, and then the engine is growling like I'm some 17 year old punk trying to run grandma off the road. I guess I'm getting too old to settle for economy car performance.

great idea
By Ericgpayne on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my protege since 10-2001 and have only had minor hiccups that would be expected when a car is driven as hard as I drive this thing. I have gone through 3 sets of tires, changed the engine mounts, upgraded the brakes and have plans to use some sort of forced indution in the near future. The car still rides as if I bought it last week despite having 89,000 on the clock. Great car.