2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Don't want a new car :(
By My3Demons on 04/28/06 08:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my yellow P5. Bought it used in 03 & I'm trying not to cry now that I need a mini van. I love the way it looks, handles, & the room. Even with 3 kids in car seats! Only thing wrong is the paint. It's SO faded, even with weekly baths. I live in Florida, maybe that's why? My shift plate (R D N 2-etc.) is damaged and will cost me $125 to fix, let the next owner do that. My other issue is at 60,000 miles my tranny keeled over. I drive it like I stole it & like a mom. Mazda said it was probably previous owner; it had 27,000 on it after only 1 year. Now at 74,000 it still acts a little funny, hope that tranny stays put. :) But otherwise I LOVE it and still get people asking me about it. My fave car so far!

Still Happy after 60K miles
By garv214 on 03/13/06 13:49 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car new back in 2001 and have enjoyed it thoroughly. A blast to drive in day to day driving (great handling). Replaced the tires at 40K with Firestone Fusions (uprated to 205mm) which fixed the poor wet weather traction of the Dunlops. A couple of common minor gripes: burned out headlight bulbs (4 so far - what is up with that?), wind noise from the roof rack is present, passenger window rolls up more slowly than driver's side, and had to replace the coil to correct an engine miss. Overall, the car has been a joy to own. I get 28-30 mpg routinely, can fit 4 adults comfortably, and haul a bunch of stuff as needed. Add good looks and great handling and you have a real winner. =)

Bolt-on mods
By Craig on 11/25/05 23:26 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I read all of the reviews on this car on Edmunds.com AFTER I purchased it and have noticed a recurring suggested improvement: power. I agree. The engine is rated at 142 horsepower stock but what it needs is more mid-range power and torque. After installing Racing Beat's cat-back exhaust system and K&N's Typhoon Intake the Protege5 not only sounds great but now produces just the right amount of power and torque at the RPM's I prefer: 3000 to 5000. The Protege5 is a sports car at heart, it just wants to breathe better. What's better is that the intake and exhaust were not that difficult to install -- floor-jack, jack-stands and metric tools are all you need; just follow the directions!

We Luv our Maz
By Chris on 11/20/05 22:38 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car from new - 3 years and 40,000 miles ... nothing has gone wrong with it. Everything about it feels just right. Great for zooming around town but the often quoted lack of power is only noticed out on open country roads. Forget about the automatic - you just have to have the manual shift to get the most fun out of this car - it loves to rev. Love the looks from the front but never really got used to the hatchback end (ps. it's not a wagon). Problems: clutch judder when cold but it hasn't got any worse since new, slightly gruff noise from engine for the first minute in the morning, stock Goodyears were very prone to potentially lethal aquaplaning.

Very satisfied owner
By snbcnadeau on 11/06/05 07:29 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We chose our blue beauty over a Subaru Legacy, which was my wife's idea. She got it right. It actually has more rear seat legroom than the Legacy, handles better, and we can fit a stroller and a kid's bike in the back with the hatch closed. I love how sharp the handling is, the styling is lights out, the functionality is superb (use the car for dump runs for two families with no problems), and reliability has been relatively up to expectation. Both headlights had to be replaced, which was surprising. Didn't have to do that on my 11 year old Altima. Overall, would recommend this car for any small family (we have 2 small kids).

Problems
By lallabear on 10/17/05 23:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I expected the car to last with proper maintenance. However, even with proper maintenance I've replaced the engine coil and now the a/c has gone out as well. It is also starting to make a strange sound when accelerating. (I haven't had this checked out yet, just started). It was a fun economical car to drive until 60,000 miles.

This car just gets better and better...
By Craig Rudzenski on 10/02/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would never imagine that after having a car after 4 years would still make me smile just by looking at it. Mazda hit the nail on the head with style vs. functionality (they just should've done a little better with performance). The paint is a little thin, minor road pebbles can go right to the black primer coat of the car. The tires are an odd size that are not readily available in case you need them (which I did, a monster pothole at night going 50 mph took care of the passenger side). This car, even though its a little underpowered, lives up to the zoom-zoom moniker that it delivered to the world (this was the first zoom-zoom car in Mazda's ads). It handles like a go-kart.

Simply One of the Best!
By Joe C in San Diego on 09/18/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The moment I drove this car I knew that I would buy it. It is tight and sporty, both driving and looking. The interior is roomy enough that a 200# bodybuilder and my friends can feel unconfined and comfortable, whether in the front or back seats. With the rear seats down, I even fit a full size (unassembled) dresser in it, hatch closed. In the nearly 3 1/2 years that I have owned it, it has only been to the garage for scheduled preventive maintenance. At 20 MPG city and 29 MPG highway, it is economical. Although I would have liked a little more power for passing at higher speeds, the 2.0 is great for accelerating from lower speeds to highway speeds. It climbed the Sierras with command.

Fun surprise
By jjn89q on 08/04/05 20:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Protege5 is at 70,000 miles and I still love it's sporty handling. It's the funnest economy car I've ever driven.

Great Car, Terrible Electrical System
By Alison on 07/26/05 14:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After looking at all the other cars in this category (subaru outback, toyota matrix, ford focus), I chose the Mazda Protege 5. It seemed like the best-made car of my choices. I also heard Mazda a good reputation for reliability and service. I enjoyed my car a great deal for the first year, but then I started to experience electrical trouble. If my car sits for more than 2-3 days, the battery is dead the next time I try to drive it.