Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

Couldn't be happier with my Protege5!
By Rich

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a sporty hatchback, and was choosing between a couple of Subarus and Toyota Matrix at the time. Protege5 styling was very sleek looking in 2002, and nice looking chrome alloy wheels and low-profile Dunlop sport tires sealed the deal. The only problem I had with this vehicle was with the headlights. There was some kind of electrical/wiring issue there necessitating frequent replacements. Other than that, it's a dream to drive, performs very well in braking, acceleration and overall ride comfort for a relatively small car. The engine isn't that powerful, but I have a 5spd so you get the nice Zoom Zoom experience anyway. Love this car!

Favorite Features

Styling (interior and exterior), road performance on long trips, gas mileage and reliability. Roomy trunk for small car.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, sound system could be a little more dynamic.

One recurring problem
By Peter R.

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially happy with the car. The handling was superb and it suited my needs. However the odd size tires 195/55 16 are hard to find and expensive. The worst part has been the brakes. The left rear caliper siezed after 18 months and was fixed under warranty. I have had the same problem occur two more times in 7 years of ownership. I have replaced the rear rotors twice and the rear calipers once in 80,000. Plus 2 sets of pads and a rebuild of the the seized caliper twice. This is an unacceptable issue in my mind. My benchmark is my 1994 corolla that had zero problems in 120,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Sporty drive, lots of nice standard options at a reasonable price, station wagon needs with non-station wagon look.

Suggested Improvements

Tire size was totally odd. Hard to find size. Not thrilled with the longevity of them either. Brakes. In my experience, they have been a major problem and I have had them worked on almost ever other year since owning the car.

Excellent Bang for the Buck!
By yfrnaks

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most trouble-free car I have ever driven. I currently have 131,000 miles on it and have only gone in for maintenance and one repair. In addition, the shop mechanics have never found anything that would need repair. Only repair: Replace EGR valve ($370 Seattle, non- dealership). Driving: Drives terrible in the snow, even with Michelin X-Ice tires and traveling well below 25 mph. If driven faster than that, you can expect the car to slide two school bus lengths when braking. Rain, car slips a lot too.

Favorite Features

Steering makes it easy to drive and park. Seats are very comfortable, especially on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive. Light bulb replacement more user friendly. Improve winter/snow performance.

A True Gem
By Tweek

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched every other car in this class and deliberated for nearly four months before making up my mind and to this day I've never looked back. Amazing on fuel, fun to drive (I'd recommend the stick), she's beautiful to look at both inside and out and with the right aftermarket audio improvements she's a music lover's dream. There is so much I could say about my baby but if you own one you already know... and if you don't, well, I can save you the headaches of looking around. THIS IS THE CAR TO GET!!!... hands down.

Favorite Features

Sport-tuned race car like handling, great overall performance especially with the manual and great fuel economy. Gorgeous inside and out!

Suggested Improvements

Better stock tires (upgrades make a great difference). Add a K&N filter... it sounds fabulous and adds a couple of hp... worth every penny!

By mustangleader

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After another 18,000 miles since last August when I wrote a review. Car is very reliable and keeps on going. If power is your concern, do modifications as I said in my first review. The cost is nominal and cost effective. Never felt the car was underpowered due to it's power band at low rmp, but if you modified as I did, you'll have performance, comfort, economy of an everyday go-kart car in high gas mkt.

Favorite Features

Corners like a more expensive sports car, gas mileage, comfort in the driving seat. Other than normal maintenace, water pump after 164,000 miles. Cargo space as good as my Speed3. Shifting 5 spd very smooth; no missing shifts compared to 6 spd in Speed3. Original clutch still. Fun every day car.