Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

GREAT CAR
By Bruce

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wrote a review at 165,000 miles. Drives like a go kart due to tight suspension. Doesn't like rough roads but smooth twisties, it's a dream. Normal main. only except for H2O pump at 80,000 miles. Original clutch. People complain about lack of power but overall comfort, fun to drive and cargo space outweighed the hp. I added turbo exhaust, K&N filter and had the computer reprogrammed. Sporty sound now. May have added 10-15 hp and car is fast as I want to maintain 31 mpg/hwy. Better daily driver than my 2007 Speed 3. 5 speed is much smoother than the 6 speed of the Speed3. Rough ride on harsh roads due to sport suspension, still better than Speed 3. The car is a keeper if you take it.

Sporty feel due to suspension. Driver's seat very comfortable. 25/31 gas mileage is great. Low maintenance.

None for me since I made aftermarket adjustments to increase power for less than $800. Maybe 17 inch wheels but 205s on 16 rims are just fine for cornering.

Awesome little car
By acroy

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have 7 yrs and 105k. We like how it looks, drives, and handles. Itís been very reliable, very practical. It is sporty and involving. 5 spd drivetrain is responsive, a bit noisy but not bad. Mileage is 28 mpg mixed. Ride is firm and responsive. 195 width tires are not common but 205 are easy to find. Reliability is outstanding. I redid the brakes at 40k and nothing since. Interior fits like a glove, Mazda knows sport ergonomics. Supportive seats etc. Build quality is great. No loose trim, leaks, suspension wearing out, etc. It rides and feels solid. Overall: for the money you can get more mpg, more space, more cush. But you will not get more combined fun & practicality.

Styling Practicality Ergonomics Fun to drive Dead-nuts reliable Solid build Good interior materials quality

better MPG' would be welcome, but 28 mpg is not bad. That's it.

No more Mazda for me
By dbar

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2004 as my first car, and off I went to college. It has been 6 years now and I totally regret buying this car. I have had to change almost 3 alternators in this car along 4 batteries. Had to replace the engine at 75,000 miles and that was the final straw, definitely looking for a new vehicle now and it won't be Mazda.

It is quite roomy being that I am 6'4" and the handling is second to none.

Of course they have revamped the Protege and made it Mazda3 now, I definitely should have waited.

Protege 5 was an Ok car
By zoolander

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the car since new. The original Dunlop tires were worn out quickly and would have been expensive to replace had I not put new rims and all season tires on the car. Brakes, especially the back brakes have been a sore spot with me. The rear brakes have seized on several occasions and usually I need to replace rotors and brakes all around every year. That is far too frequent to be acceptable. The car has quite a bit of rust around the rear wheel wells and a spot on the hatch door. Paint has faded badly. Plastic parts, like the bumper, are of a different color than the paint due to aging and bleaching from the sun. Fuel economy isn't great.

Curb appeal. Engine and tranny are bulletproof even at 200K. All power toys and AC still work well.

This is a car that is pretending to be a sports car. Brakes and body integrity need improvement, rear window wiper motor quit after 5 years and is quite expensive to replace. No need for expensive low profile tires. Ride is noisy from both engine and outside sources. There are better small cars.

Practicality AND Fun in a small car!!
By JustinMoyer10

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used and have since drove almost 15K miles & this car's great! I have become a huge fan of this car because of its practicality: LOTS of interior space for its overall size, lots of standard features for an 02, nice price. There isn't another car for the price that is that practical and so much fun to own/drive: Handling is SUPERB!, I get the sporty sense of feeling the road, I love to pack my stuff in the hatch for trips, its a great looking car as well with some nice sporty trims. Yeah you'll zoom-zoom if you get one but that's because of its precise handling, not because of its power (it could use 30-40 more horses). I wont mind driving this car for years to come!

Handling makes this car a blast to drive, its looks, interior space, sound of engine (because you'll make it work), comfortable seats and lots of standard features. Not a lot of maintenance required.

Bumpy ride, could use some more power (that's why it got a 9 in performance), headlights need replaced often, that's about it.