2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Best Decision I could have made!
By TR on 05/15/09 10:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car new in '02. Candy apple red with leather! I love it, love it, love it! It has been a great car. Always get looks and compliments from young guys b/c of the sweet wheels. Have 156K miles on it and am getting a new car now but only because I am getting tired of hauling stuff for other people ---fold down the seats and this car will a twin size bed, an armchair, 20 clowns and 1 elephant. I'm getting a 2 seater so no one can ask me to help them move ever again!

A Blast To Drive...
By DuManchu on 04/13/09 00:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in the spring of 05. I put on about 30K miles in the time I owned it. Only had to replace brake pads and resurface the disks. The car has been perfect. The only other problem with it was the 12V socket pulling out from me overusing it, but I understand it's a common problem on these. This car is just hands down a BLAST to drive. I'll recall a time I was on "Peak-to-Peak" in Colorado (west of Denver) and I was trailing an Acura 3.2CL. While I couldn't keep up with him on the straights, I gained serious ground on the turns. I was cornering so hard I got DIZZY at one point but the car never wavered. The only thing this car NEEDS is 30-40 more HP.

Best car ever!
By slttexas on 02/10/09 01:38 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car off the showroom floor in '02. In all these years I still get compliments and people are always asking if I just got a new car and what kind it is. It still drives solid and very comfortable. Only routine maint. has ever been required, we've never had any mechanical problems. The controls to everything are conveniant and the car has lots of room. With recent additions to the family I have hsd to purchase a new mini-van, and my husband took over my mazda...I sure do miss it.

2002 Mazda Protege5
By Susieq on 01/17/09 12:42 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since 2003. So far no major work. Just oil and tune up and I have 196500 on it. Love that car and the way it drove. I say drove because the guy I was dating totaled it out. I'm now looking for another car. Hoping to get one just like it. But I did have trouble with the headlights having to be replaced pretty frequently. I would recommend this car to young and old. It's fun and reliable.

2002 PR5 vs Honda Fit
By mustangleader on 12/31/08 19:33 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 165,000 miles. Read a review by a person who traded in his PR5 for Fit claiming how it was a much better car. Huh? PR5 has more space and is a bigger car. Mileage is slightly better via Fit because it's a smaller engine. Fit owner claims it drives like a go cart. Well, I drove a Fit and no comparison. Stock PR5 still out performs Fit and with some aftermarket things like cold air filter, magna flow system, and computer update for less than $800, the PR5 outperforms fit in every area except for mileage which I get 25 in town, 32-34 on the road depending how fast I drive. If you can get a low mileage PR5, the cost is cheaper than a Fit and these cars last.

Couldn't be happier with my Protege5!
By Rich on 12/23/08 13:49 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a sporty hatchback, and was choosing between a couple of Subarus and Toyota Matrix at the time. Protege5 styling was very sleek looking in 2002, and nice looking chrome alloy wheels and low-profile Dunlop sport tires sealed the deal. The only problem I had with this vehicle was with the headlights. There was some kind of electrical/wiring issue there necessitating frequent replacements. Other than that, it's a dream to drive, performs very well in braking, acceleration and overall ride comfort for a relatively small car. The engine isn't that powerful, but I have a 5spd so you get the nice Zoom Zoom experience anyway. Love this car!

One recurring problem
By Peter R. on 12/22/08 11:28 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially happy with the car. The handling was superb and it suited my needs. However the odd size tires 195/55 16 are hard to find and expensive. The worst part has been the brakes. The left rear caliper siezed after 18 months and was fixed under warranty. I have had the same problem occur two more times in 7 years of ownership. I have replaced the rear rotors twice and the rear calipers once in 80,000. Plus 2 sets of pads and a rebuild of the the seized caliper twice. This is an unacceptable issue in my mind. My benchmark is my 1994 corolla that had zero problems in 120,000 miles.

Excellent Bang for the Buck!
By yfrnaks on 11/24/08 13:15 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most trouble-free car I have ever driven. I currently have 131,000 miles on it and have only gone in for maintenance and one repair. In addition, the shop mechanics have never found anything that would need repair. Only repair: Replace EGR valve ($370 Seattle, non- dealership). Driving: Drives terrible in the snow, even with Michelin X-Ice tires and traveling well below 25 mph. If driven faster than that, you can expect the car to slide two school bus lengths when braking. Rain, car slips a lot too.

A True Gem
By Tweek on 10/05/08 06:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched every other car in this class and deliberated for nearly four months before making up my mind and to this day I've never looked back. Amazing on fuel, fun to drive (I'd recommend the stick), she's beautiful to look at both inside and out and with the right aftermarket audio improvements she's a music lover's dream. There is so much I could say about my baby but if you own one you already know... and if you don't, well, I can save you the headaches of looking around. THIS IS THE CAR TO GET!!!... hands down.

By mustangleader on 07/27/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After another 18,000 miles since last August when I wrote a review. Car is very reliable and keeps on going. If power is your concern, do modifications as I said in my first review. The cost is nominal and cost effective. Never felt the car was underpowered due to it's power band at low rmp, but if you modified as I did, you'll have performance, comfort, economy of an everyday go-kart car in high gas mkt.