Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

So Far So Good
By emhawk77

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my PR5 for over 8 months now. I was in the market to trade in my awful, terrible, never buy one, Mercury Cougar. I wanted a used car, but after test driving the PR5, I was hooked. I wanted an automatic, but manual was all I could find. However, the manual is so fun and easy to drive, that I barely notice it's not an automatic. If things go well with the car for through 60,000 miles, I may be a Mazda owner for life.

Favorite Features

Steering the car is great. The interior is attractive and functional for the driver and front passenger. Plenty of space in back seat and in hatch.

Suggested Improvements

More Horse Power! Reduce a/c noise. The cup holder design from the Tribute (front and back seat) would work well in the PR5 and would be a much welcome improvement.

p5 over 1 year and 25,000 miles later...
By p5 in Virginia

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We are a 1-car family and rely on our p5 for everything. We have taken 2 1000+ mi trips in this car and a 2500+ mile trip. All with the baby. Still like the taught suspension and great steering feel. Fun to drive. Easy to drive. Can get around slower traffic with ease. Very stable and safe at higher speeds. Interior is squeak and rattle-free and materials are holding up well. Easy to stay comfy driving long distances. Still get plenty of "cool car" comments! Needs more power and less noise. No mechanical problems. We will probably keep it for 4 more years or up to 2 kids. Over 2 kids, shut up and get a minivan.

Favorite Features

Very hip little sport wagon! Fashionable looks. Super steering wheel. Powerful and easy to control brakes. Logical and attractive dash layout with nifty gauges. Easy clutch and shifting. Handles great. Get the moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and road noise at 55+ mph is intrusive. Open moonroof = super loud wind noise. Mileage just ok. Needs rear cup holders, bigger trunk, 20 hp and less body roll.

Wannabee mmer
By KCW

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Cruise control just went out. Might have been the fuse.

Favorite Features

Sweet clutch, corner carving, snicky shifter

Suggested Improvements

30 more bhp

bobngretchen
By belike

great car wife loves it

Favorite Features

chrome rims, paint, stereo, body lines

Suggested Improvements

more power

Protege5: Good, not great
By rdcasey

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 99 VW Jetta before buying this. Especially for longer distances, can't beat the Jetta for comfort, style and fun. The Protege5 is a great looker, but doesn't have the nice interior touches (lighting, seats, Monsoon stereo, materials) of the Jetta. It's MUCH lighter everywhere (doors, panels) and doesn't have the heavy, German clunk feel of the Jetta. The Jetta's ride is much smoother...the Protege5 is tuned to feel the road - a bit too much - but it does corner great. But so did the Jetta.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

STEREO! Put one in that's more than about 5 watts. No cupholders in the back? Also, this is a big one...the power door lock switch is located one inch behind the door handle. It's almost impossible to NOT lock yourself out.