2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Big Value, Big Fun!
By Morgan on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Edmunds describes this car as a Lexus SportCross for the masses, and I totally agree. I don't think there's a better balance of practicality, reliability, mileage, looks, and performance out there. I rarely get beyond my driveway before this car's performance puts a smile on my face.

Very Very Happy
By billinalex on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm so happy with my Red Protege 5. Many of my friends have Civics, and they feel and look so dull by comparison. It's a fun car to drive, and very versatile car for urban folks like myself. My only complaints are minor, even downright silly, see below. I agonized over the decision, but opted for an automatic instead of a 5 speed. It's still fun as heck to drive though, and the transmission seems to always shift exactly when it should.

love at first sight
By marky mark on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the car to death. I found it handles great, gets great gas mileage, and is lots of fun to drive. This car is also very practical, makes going to work almost fun.

really like my car..so far....
By monk on 03/24/02 00:03 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do enjoy my car thus far...It is a little on the under powered side coming from a 91 civic SI. I do however see some huge potential if I can spare some bucks...Plus it is a lot easier to get two kids in(as opposed to the SI). My only real complaint(other than the power issue) is the anti theft alarm which came stock on the model I bought..It is just to darn sensitive..My Motorcycle sets it off along with loud trucks and busses..The dealership says that they can do nothing about it as does mazda corp..Other than dealing with that.... buy this car...It is fun and DAMN good looking(for a 3 door oooops 5 door)

Great Deal
By wampratz on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a phenomenal deal. Every other car I looked at priced well over 18k. I got the base model, which still had ac, power windows / locks, and I got it for $14,995 with the 4.9 financing. So I don't think there's a better deal under 15k.

Surprise!!!
By Nebulous on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Mazda actually came out with a car that looks nice and is fun to drive. This car actually has good cornering, and acceleration.

Great Midlife Cure
By Wes W on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

About 20 years ago I had a '76 Ford Capri from Germany. Haven't found anything that's as fun to drive until now. This car holds the road very well and almost seems to dare you to take that turn a little faster. It has cured me need for a motorcycle for now.

We love our Pro5
By Clif on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a small, fuel efficient and flexible little car. We owned 3 Miata's in the past and they were dependable and a blast to drive. The Protege 5 is the same. A great all around little hauler that corners like a sports car and zips through traffic easily. And you can still haul a healthy load. We are very happy with it. Plus it would appear to be rock solid and dependable like every other Mazda we have owned.

Zoom-Zoom!!
By Zoom!!! on 03/18/02 10:59 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car! I drove about 200 miles to get mine due to the options I wanted and it drove absolutely great on the way back. I think everything on the vehicle is well put together for 18K, it is a lot nicer in my option than the Lexus. Sure the Lexus has more power, but overall in my mind it wasn't work the extra 14K. Some of the pros are the 5sp, the suspension and handling, and the overall look of the vehicle. I also read the reviews talking about lack of power; well mine gets up and goes without a problem, and for the people who complain about the power, PUSH THE GAS PEDAL! :)

Still lovin my MP5
By gfree on 03/14/02 01:59 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my black MP5 for over a month and I still love driving it. I have heard a lot of knocks against the HP, and I admit a little more would be good, but I like the 130hp, because it is more than the vehicle I had before so it is an upgrade for me. People have asked me what kind of car it is, and some are suprised when I tell them it is a Mazda Protege5. I have received lots of looks and lots of complements. This car has given me a renewed interest in driving.