2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Good car, good value
By The Defender on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for two weeks and just passed the 1,000 mile mark. So far, so good. Other than a minor glich with the keyless entry, I have no problems at all to report. Overall the car handles good and looks great. I got the windows tinted and now they look even better. The cargo space is better than I expected for such a small car and the gas mileage is average at best. I got 32 mpg on my first half tank (boy was I excited!), 27 on the second, 28 on the third and 24 on the fourth (reality sets in). The incentives Mazda offered helped in my overall decision to buy this car, otherwise I probably would have bought either a Toyota Matrix or a Pontiac Vibe.

Great Looking and FUN!
By westports94 on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had it a day, but this car is FUN! The P5 should be gaining in popularity since others, besides the 20- somethings to which it's being marketed, are starting to discover it: hatchbacks are practical at any age. I gave up on my 1988 Civic hatch that I loved. I missed it, but not anymore. P5 is definitely an upgrade in handling, hp, looks, goodies. A sportyish ride, but reasonablely tame. Mostly it just feels like it wants to go, and begs to take corners. A short test drive did it for me. Compared to Acura RSX, which was too sporty for me (too low, no adult-height back seat), the P5 is more fun for thousands less. Looks GREAT, gets peoples' attention... a test drive makes the sale.

BANG BANG BANG
By mnkyboy on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Theres alot more where that came from! This car truly give you the MOST bang for your buck. It has superior styling compared to other cars in its class, and the sports car handling is spectacular. I own a Vivid Yellow, and this car turns lots of heads. Expect a big aftermarket for this car and the standard protege in a year or so. A lot of people complain about the power and how it could use more. I personally think its more than enough for the avg person. How often would you use that extra 20-30 hp? With this car, you wont be in a hurry to get anywhere...

Perfect!
By Sporin on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with the car. It is the perfect combination of cost, capability and fun-to-drive. It gets plenty of looks, and there aren't many around in my area so it has some exclusivity. There were a few car that I thought about waiting for.. the Matrix/Vibe, the SE-R Spec-V, and even the Altima. I'm glad I didn't wait. Those cars have all come in at higher price points, or have been disapointing in some way. My Pro5 was $17.5k out the door, and I can't think of ANY car I'd rather have at that price.

Sporty Station Wagon
By SunPatch on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When looking for a new car my husband still wanted something fun and sporty, me being more practical wanted something more family oriented for our new infant son. Then my husband introuduced me to the MP5, it's perfect! It's fun and sporty... our vivid yellow MP5 is really an attention getter and doesn't feel anything like a practical family car, but with 4 doors and a roomy back seat it's the perfect combination of fun and practicality. Our only complaint is the power but if you take it out of overdrive it gets a little more power for in town driving. This car is a must buy in addition to being fun and practical the price is great!

P5 in Silver
By Kevin Sullivan on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This review is for a P5 with no options (which is strange, seeing as how it is loaded with amenities already). About the only thing this car is small on is the effort to drive it! I have only had it for one tank of gas, but have found it an extreme pleasure to drive. The storage capacity is great (about three weeks of groceries for a family of four). I am a little disappointed in the amount of noise that enters the cabin. I also promptly removed the luggage rack to reduce wind noise at speed. The stereo is easy to operate and has great sound. Shifting through the gears is nearly effortless. And, for a little car, the get-up-and-go is wonderful.

almost perfect car
By prodagee5 on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this car really fits my lifestyle and personality. it may not be that fast or powerful but it has GREAT HANDLING for being a cheap & economical car. the standard features already comes with all the options you need. its the everything i needed. its the perfect 1st new car for me.

Again&Again&Again&Again....
By bgfeordjr on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love Proteges,I bought wife an LX & Pro5 for me. Remarkable car for the money. Perfect steering. Five-speed is fun & not too long in the throw. Ample power, with 2300 through 4000 rpm producing very good response. Weighs 2716 & produces 135 feet pounds of torque. Beauty of the car as a commuter--don't need peak rpm's to get power/gets more than 30 mpg. I'd have liked some choice in the interior colors, but dark charcoal looks very nice with the Black Mica exterior(found some silvery-grey floor mats that look great). One word describes exterior-BEAUTIFUL. Thanks Mazda(and Brown's) for the wonderful car at the great price(less than 15K).

Mazda's comeback!!!
By jammocaz on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with this vehicle. I got a great deal! I am so glad mazda set the pace for others to follow!(hatchback market) The competition is stiff but mazda comes out a notch ahead!

Matrix? PAH!
By Edgewater Joe on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Thought about the Matrix, but this blew it away! It's handsome, it's hot, it turns on a dime -- this is going to be a wise blast!