Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

loved and lost
By Brandon k

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car and wow,not what I was expecting. The 2.0 four cylinder feels more like a six,maybe thanks to the five speed attached to it. Handling that feels like a little sports car, thats what my insurance company said too. Great audio system and overall lovability. But like most cars it couldn't handle black top, but loved ashalt and black top is where i wrecked it, thus loved and lost.

Protege5 Pleasure
By eldermp

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although there was an item or two that needed attention under warranty, none of it would affect any major component, just minor stuff. This car has been wonderful! It is a pleasure to drive. There is a nice balance between performance and common-sense- economy, and it comes almost fully loaded, right out of the box.

I love the convenience of the hatch/wagon configuration. Items stowed in the wagon part are accessible and out of sight. Locking glovebox, a big plus--in this category. Styling in A+, out of this world, definitely the best looking in its class.

The rear-defrost and A/C control buttons are too easy to activate by accident when making other adjustments to the climate controls; also defrost doesn't have an auto, timed shut-off. No interior hatch release available. Red, backlit gages can be hard to read and hard on the eyes.

can't get enough of the PR-5
By mom2maniacs

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WOW! I am so impressed by this car and would more then recomend it to others. The handling is great, it has alot of pickup, and a great stereo. Also, its small sleak and sporty yet roomy enough for 5. Go buy one!!!

the automatic/manual drive the stereo system 3 shoulder belts in back seat great safety features (side impact air bags, etc) looks awesome!

well, I have the loaded model so there really isn't anything more I can ask for. I am honestly impressed with this car.

Fun Protege 5
By WendyBialek

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 2 years....no problems whatsoever! Extremely fun to drive, awesome handling, and great interior which does not look like cheap and plastic like most cars today. We bought this over a 2001 Passat so you can bet the car is great! I'd highly recommend this car to anyone who loves to drive and likes sporty suspension. A 9 out of 10 in my mind. My next car will be a Mazda 6!!

Handling by far! The Looks of the car inside and out.

Gets a little bumpy on certain roads. Paint that will not chip easily.

disapointed
By transmission failed

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It was great at first no problems concerns, nothing to fix just the regular oil changes. but after 9000 miles the transmission failed!!!!!!!!

Everythin was my favorite!

The transmission failed after 9000 miles I tried to get on the road and it wouldnt even go into second gear it finally did but it stressed the car, the I took it to the dealer and they said it's the transmission! The mazda 626 has the same problems so be very careful.