2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Pro5
By stallion on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was skeptical at first of the Pro5, since I was in a Z3 prior to, but I was pleassantly surprised how much fun it is to drive! It handles like a sporty car (not quite a sports car) but is still very practical for hauling and storing for long trips. It is extremely economically priced including several options. I received all options I wanted and still kept it around $21,000. I highly recommend the PROTEGE5.

An excellent choice!
By Rssteph on 04/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When compared to the Matrix and Civic EX, the Pro5 wins out. The Pro5 has a high quality, sporty interior, a unique exterior, and drives great. The Matrix's interior isn't as nice or sporty, lacks handling, but has similar accel. and more space. The Civic EX has equal quality, standard ABS and SR, but lacks in accel./handling. The Pro5's accel. is more than adequate when compared to others in its class and the handling is superb!

Love It To Death!
By NewMazdaFan on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially purchased a PT Cruiser near the end of January, but I always had a nagging feeling that I should've given the P5 another shot. Not even 2 months after I purchased the Cruiser, the P5 got another shot, and in my mind, it blew the PT away! I traded on the spot and I've never looked back! The P5 is a great car, no doubt about it. Many people seem to the think that the stereo leaves something to be desired, but I find it to be quite adequate. The interior and exterior are very attractive. Every time I get out I always take a look back just to admire its good looks! Unlike with the PT, I'm looking forward to the next 71 months, hopefully they won't seem so long!

Hubby has the last laugh . . .
By TReegs on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the P5 from the first moment I saw it. Prior to that, I had a Matrix in mind.On the road it's obvious The P5 is a superior looking automobile. The P5 was the smartest choice we could have made. Loaded with options & priced lower than anything in its'class.I found the ride was strange at first, because I was used to a more plush ride in our Concorde LXI (o.k.-my wifes' car) Also, because I had never owned a Mazda before. Now I look forward to hopping in every morning and zipping to work. My wife is equally impressed & has asked me if I want to switch off and take the Chrysler some days. I have to keep myself from giggling, "that's okay honey, I'll take the Mazda . . .

Love My Protege5
By pciskowski on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is an excellent vehicle. I don't think it is underpowered like the press does. I think the styling is better than the Matrix or Vibe. I have removed the roof rack, and the ride, noise, and gas mileage improved considerably. I have noticed a rattle in the front passenger door. On the plus side, I find the seats to be very comfortable. Given the wheelbase, wheel and tires, and suspension, the ride is somewhat harsh but the handling is excellent. Note that the tires develop a slight flat spot after 24 hours and need 5 minutes of driving for the ride to smooth out, so don't judge the ride before that point. I would buy this vehicle again in a second!

P5, not your fathers station wagon
By satisfied owner on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car, fun to drive, nice to look at. I keep telling my wife a bought a station wagon, she says it is a sports car, who is right, maybe both of us. Some people say it could use more power, but for everyday driving it has more than enough.

My PR5
By Alfie on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great value, Fun to Drive, Excellent handling, Good looks, Easy on the wallet due to good gas mileage, It's Worth It!

Bargain Lexus?
By antonio on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Was attracted to this car at first mainly for it's styling. After taking it for a test drive, we didn't look any further. The whole packeage impressed us so much and after finding the right dealer bought the car on the spot.

Good car, good value
By The Defender on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for two weeks and just passed the 1,000 mile mark. So far, so good. Other than a minor glich with the keyless entry, I have no problems at all to report. Overall the car handles good and looks great. I got the windows tinted and now they look even better. The cargo space is better than I expected for such a small car and the gas mileage is average at best. I got 32 mpg on my first half tank (boy was I excited!), 27 on the second, 28 on the third and 24 on the fourth (reality sets in). The incentives Mazda offered helped in my overall decision to buy this car, otherwise I probably would have bought either a Toyota Matrix or a Pontiac Vibe.

So far I am a happy camper!!! Zoom Zoom
By Chafic on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The P5 has an outstanding style, from the exterior and interior. It has the capacity to respond when I demand sudden acceleration, not to mention an amazing curve handling. This car drives like a sport machine. The low profile tires help handling those 30 MPH curve at 50-60 MPH w/o a glitch. As for the interior, P5 offered a nice European styling, as opposed to the competition (i.e. the Civic, or Acura which I test drove). My hope is that the reliabilty of the P5 is as good as my Nissan Quest Van which we owned since '95!!!