2002 Mazda Protege5 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Protege5 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Pro5
By stallion

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was skeptical at first of the Pro5, since I was in a Z3 prior to, but I was pleassantly surprised how much fun it is to drive! It handles like a sporty car (not quite a sports car) but is still very practical for hauling and storing for long trips. It is extremely economically priced including several options. I received all options I wanted and still kept it around $21,000. I highly recommend the PROTEGE5.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestion would be to give a few more horses under the hood...

An excellent choice!
By Rssteph

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When compared to the Matrix and Civic EX, the Pro5 wins out. The Pro5 has a high quality, sporty interior, a unique exterior, and drives great. The Matrix's interior isn't as nice or sporty, lacks handling, but has similar accel. and more space. The Civic EX has equal quality, standard ABS and SR, but lacks in accel./handling. The Pro5's accel. is more than adequate when compared to others in its class and the handling is superb!

Favorite Features

Quality, handling, interior, exterior, attention, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

The only real negative is the wind noise from the roof rack at highway speeds. It's not terrible, but is noticable

Love It To Death!
By NewMazdaFan

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially purchased a PT Cruiser near the end of January, but I always had a nagging feeling that I should've given the P5 another shot. Not even 2 months after I purchased the Cruiser, the P5 got another shot, and in my mind, it blew the PT away! I traded on the spot and I've never looked back! The P5 is a great car, no doubt about it. Many people seem to the think that the stereo leaves something to be desired, but I find it to be quite adequate. The interior and exterior are very attractive. Every time I get out I always take a look back just to admire its good looks! Unlike with the PT, I'm looking forward to the next 71 months, hopefully they won't seem so long!

Favorite Features

The style!

Suggested Improvements

My doors rattle and squeak, all of them!

Hubby has the last laugh . . .
By TReegs

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the P5 from the first moment I saw it. Prior to that, I had a Matrix in mind.On the road it's obvious The P5 is a superior looking automobile. The P5 was the smartest choice we could have made. Loaded with options & priced lower than anything in its'class.I found the ride was strange at first, because I was used to a more plush ride in our Concorde LXI (o.k.-my wifes' car) Also, because I had never owned a Mazda before. Now I look forward to hopping in every morning and zipping to work. My wife is equally impressed & has asked me if I want to switch off and take the Chrysler some days. I have to keep myself from giggling, "that's okay honey, I'll take the Mazda . . .

Favorite Features

Exterior design,Cockpit layout,steering wheel, instrument gauges, dashboard look. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Improve armrest positioning. Add rear vents. A little more power.

Love My Protege5
By pciskowski

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is an excellent vehicle. I don't think it is underpowered like the press does. I think the styling is better than the Matrix or Vibe. I have removed the roof rack, and the ride, noise, and gas mileage improved considerably. I have noticed a rattle in the front passenger door. On the plus side, I find the seats to be very comfortable. Given the wheelbase, wheel and tires, and suspension, the ride is somewhat harsh but the handling is excellent. Note that the tires develop a slight flat spot after 24 hours and need 5 minutes of driving for the ride to smooth out, so don't judge the ride before that point. I would buy this vehicle again in a second!

Favorite Features

Appearance, long list of standard features, VERY fun to drive, value for the money, did I mention fun to drive?

Suggested Improvements

STEREO! (Vehicles built after 2/28/02 have a six speaker system, but I did not get one of these and have not heard it). A little more HP to shut the magazine reviewers up. A six speed manual. Did I mention the stereo?

P5, not your fathers station wagon
By satisfied owner

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car, fun to drive, nice to look at. I keep telling my wife a bought a station wagon, she says it is a sports car, who is right, maybe both of us. Some people say it could use more power, but for everyday driving it has more than enough.

My PR5
By Alfie

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great value, Fun to Drive, Excellent handling, Good looks, Easy on the wallet due to good gas mileage, It's Worth It!

Favorite Features

Sports car looks and handling, Lots of standard accessories, Good on gas, Fun to Drive.

Suggested Improvements

better cupholders, better speakers, sunroof wind too noisy

Bargain Lexus?
By antonio

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Was attracted to this car at first mainly for it's styling. After taking it for a test drive, we didn't look any further. The whole packeage impressed us so much and after finding the right dealer bought the car on the spot.

Favorite Features

This car sticks to the road like glue. The seats are very supportive. We get a lot envious looks when we go around town in this car. The 5 speed is quick and responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the back seat. Longer centre arm rest between the front seats and you have the prefect car for a very reasonable price.

Happy
By englishmastiffzeus

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am happy with our choice. We got the car with moonroof, ABS, side airbags and alloy wheels for $16,750. Excellent value. Fun to drive. Pretty big inside, even for my 6'7" frame. My biggest beef is that the car has some wicked interior rattles on the highway. They drive me crazy. I will be taking it in to the dealer to take care of these. Also, you absolutely cannot store anything in any of the storage compartments without them rattling. A power point in the cargo area would be nice. Right front cupholder is unusable if you need the 12 volt power point at the same time. Handling is awesome. Would have liked a 175 hp version like the Matrix/Vibe.

Favorite Features

Cool looking. Great transmission shifting (5 spd). Interior room. Brushed silver accents on dash. Roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

Rear cupholder. 20 more horsepower. More power at low rpm. Better stock stereo/speakers. Rear 12 volt power point. Better configured cupholders in the front.

So far I am a happy camper!!! Zoom Zoom
By Chafic

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The P5 has an outstanding style, from the exterior and interior. It has the capacity to respond when I demand sudden acceleration, not to mention an amazing curve handling. This car drives like a sport machine. The low profile tires help handling those 30 MPH curve at 50-60 MPH w/o a glitch. As for the interior, P5 offered a nice European styling, as opposed to the competition (i.e. the Civic, or Acura which I test drove). My hope is that the reliabilty of the P5 is as good as my Nissan Quest Van which we owned since '95!!!

Favorite Features

Instrument cluster, and the design of the dashboard. Comfortable cushions. My P5 has the CD disk changer, the auto-diming mirror, and the moonroof. In summary, this is a lot of car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo feature, or more horsepower. However, what I have is just fine. It would be nice to have some higher fidelity speakers in the car, but these can be upgraded once the car is paid off.