2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )
Fun, Reliable car to drive with some not so good features
By jwonger on 03/19/14 21:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car from my brother 4 months ago. It currently has 157k miles on it and it runs great. Just changed the timing belt at 155k and so far its been running like a dream. Its a great affordable commuter car that has some quick speed on turns. Very reliable, every Mazda my family has owned has had 230k+ miles put on it. Definitely will be buying another Mazda after I put another 100k miles on this one!

Great, practical car
By srutig on 08/05/13 19:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so fun to drive! It feels fast even at lower speeds and handles great. It is still a joy to drive with the automatic transmission. This is an extremely practical car- great for everyday commutes or for first time drivers. This car is also very reliable and running great after 11 years.

mazda protege 5 2002
By myras on 05/15/13 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car! The best i have ever had! I just had no choice to take it off the road due to the frame holes all through it. Rust is very bad on the car its had alot of body work done to it! All floors, All wheel wells, Bottoms to all the doors! Motor out lived body! Motor is great! Runs fantastic! Rust is my whole problems with this car!

So sad.
By tdb3 on 06/20/12 17:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We're in Nova Scotia w/ moist salty air. Cars rust here; but this is the worst I've ever seen. Model is famous w/ mechanics. Body rusted - started w/ back wheel wells. Got fixed for $800, but rest of car covered in rust. Struts rusted - Got those & few other things replaced for $1000. When I bought car it had used engine. Within 1 wk, water pump failed & 2nd engine failed. 3rd engine lasted two years before it failed. When I took it in, mechanic said to junk it b/c the frame had totally rusted out underneath. Didn't believe him, so looked myself. There were holes the size of my fist all over the FRAME of the car, rest was SOFT. Scrap yd doesn't even want it b/c has too many of them!

Great, Reliable, Versitile, Fun to Drive Car
By midwestboiler on 05/19/11 07:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2005 and have loved every mile I have driven in it. While it's only a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter, the protege5 definitely doesn't slack on pickup. The ride seems louder than normal, but that is due to how low to the ground the car is. The Protege5 has held up extremely well. Other than changing the oil, tires, brakes etc. the only actual maintenance I have had done was replace the air intake at about 80,000 miles. The seats are very comfortable. While the car is on the smaller side, it is easy to seat 4 adult males well in the car. If needed, I have added someone in the middle seat. There is still room, but a little more cramped in the back seat.

PROTEGE 5 STILL A WINNER
By mustangleader on 02/27/11 22:48 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have written a couple of reviews. Bought new in May 2002. Reviews stating car is bad, guessing that either bought car used, abuse it driving or in bad weather areas. I'm in So Cal. Runs great after 195,000 miles. Only a fuel pump at 80,000 and a new alternator recently. Normal maintenance. Still original clutch. That's reliability. Drives like a go kart in twisties gets 31 highway 24-25 in town. Combine: 27 mpg. Complaints light bulbs burning out 2 often - it's bulb holder the problem, not bulb. Just drove 2011 Mazda 2 selling 4 what I paid 4 PR5, no comparison. 2 slower/smaller. Tested Honda Fit, sits 2 high. Not as fun 2 drive. Also smaller. 2 bad Mazda stopped making PR5.

Excellent car (for me)
By tiborgh on 02/20/11 18:56 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2006 when it was less than 3 years old, with 47,000 kms (about 30,000 miles). Now it has 192,000 kms (120,000 miles). I still love the car, while my wife hated it from the beginning. Very fun to drive, very practical, had less mechanical problems than the 2002 Corolla that we purchased new. Had to replace the original speakers and install an amplifier to have a decent sound. Stiff suspension and loud road noise are a deterrent for many, but that just adds to the overall fun. Recently the rear wheel wells and the doors started to show some rust. Mechanically it was quite robust, only two minor problems so far, an ABS sensor and a tie rod.

Worst car ever
By NEVER buy a Mazda on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I have owned our Protege 5 for almost 6 years now and it has been nothing but a headache. The sub frame has rotted practically off the car and has been fixed twice already. There are recurring problems with the check engine light and the dealer cannot determine what the issue is exactly. "spend $1000's and still not know if the issue(s) is fixed". Mazda does not stand behind their vehicles AT ALL. Sub frames rotting are a real safety issue and maybe they should look at how Toyota solved this problem. Our other car is a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire and it does NOT have rust issues. The Mazda has even been undercoated more than the Sunfire! Do not waste your money!

Do not buy this car
By jbshagg on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. if you truly read up you will find that most other owners complain about the axles, brakes, rotors, and loadness when driving on the highway. I have it in the shop AT LEAST twice a year. It is great on gas but too light in the snow in rain. I feel unsafe in the car, and want to trade, but currently owe more on it than it is worth.

fast &fun
By andy arch on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased in April, 2002 P5,it is a blast to drive,it does great going uphill in these Colorado mountains,I still need to get used to being so close to the ground,and the higher road noise,overall a great little car for the money...24-27 mpg consistently,plenty of power if driven right,the +,-,tranny is so neat.Do all these low profile cars sound like loose boards when driving over bumpy road,or maybe I need struts?