Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

Fun, Reliable car to drive with some not so good features
By jwonger

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car from my brother 4 months ago. It currently has 157k miles on it and it runs great. Just changed the timing belt at 155k and so far its been running like a dream. Its a great affordable commuter car that has some quick speed on turns. Very reliable, every Mazda my family has owned has had 230k+ miles put on it. Definitely will be buying another Mazda after I put another 100k miles on this one!

I've taken it to the snow and get through no problem. It ain't know Subaru but throw some chains on it and it runs fine through the snow. Love the roof rack that was included with the car! Reliablilty: A+

You'd think this car with a 2.0L Engine would be a little quicker than it is off the line. Pedal to the floor and doesn't beat many cars, (my dads Corolla beats it). Interior features are not so great. Small Center console and no behind the seat storage.The cup holders only fit certain sized cups and if they are too tall they don't fit without spilling all over your gear shift. The trunk is a decent size, I suggest getting a trunk organizer to put all the stuff that you couldn't put in the center console or behind the seats.

Great, practical car
By srutig

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so fun to drive! It feels fast even at lower speeds and handles great. It is still a joy to drive with the automatic transmission. This is an extremely practical car- great for everyday commutes or for first time drivers. This car is also very reliable and running great after 11 years.

mazda protege 5 2002
By myras

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car! The best i have ever had! I just had no choice to take it off the road due to the frame holes all through it. Rust is very bad on the car its had alot of body work done to it! All floors, All wheel wells, Bottoms to all the doors! Motor out lived body! Motor is great! Runs fantastic! Rust is my whole problems with this car!

Motor motor motor ! They are great! 170,00 miles still running on the original clutch!

Frames are really bad! Body rust bad!

So sad.
By tdb3

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We're in Nova Scotia w/ moist salty air. Cars rust here; but this is the worst I've ever seen. Model is famous w/ mechanics. Body rusted - started w/ back wheel wells. Got fixed for $800, but rest of car covered in rust. Struts rusted - Got those & few other things replaced for $1000. When I bought car it had used engine. Within 1 wk, water pump failed & 2nd engine failed. 3rd engine lasted two years before it failed. When I took it in, mechanic said to junk it b/c the frame had totally rusted out underneath. Didn't believe him, so looked myself. There were holes the size of my fist all over the FRAME of the car, rest was SOFT. Scrap yd doesn't even want it b/c has too many of them!

I bought this car because it handled far better than the Vibe/Matrix. It had great gas mileage; it was solid, stylish for its age; and very practical. I had no idea how much trouble it would cause me! RIP Mazda

Use better quality steel.

Great, Reliable, Versitile, Fun to Drive Car
By midwestboiler

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2005 and have loved every mile I have driven in it. While it's only a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter, the protege5 definitely doesn't slack on pickup. The ride seems louder than normal, but that is due to how low to the ground the car is. The Protege5 has held up extremely well. Other than changing the oil, tires, brakes etc. the only actual maintenance I have had done was replace the air intake at about 80,000 miles. The seats are very comfortable. While the car is on the smaller side, it is easy to seat 4 adult males well in the car. If needed, I have added someone in the middle seat. There is still room, but a little more cramped in the back seat.

-Very unique looking car. -Comfortable seats -Most reliable car I have had. -Perfect for high school/college driver. -Front wheel drive provides much better traction in snow. -My friends that are 6'4" can fit fairly well in the car. -Great handling -Brakes are effective and not too touchy. -Small size allows to park in compact spaces.

-Gas mileage should be better based on its size.(about 26 mpg with combined city and highway driving) Should be closer to 30mpg in my opinion. -When seats are folded down, there are two levels (backs of seats laid down are higher than trunk). -Very difficult to change your own oil due to the oil filter not being easily accessible from under the car.