2002 Mazda Protege5 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Protege5 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Fun, Reliable car to drive with some not so good features
By jwonger

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car from my brother 4 months ago. It currently has 157k miles on it and it runs great. Just changed the timing belt at 155k and so far its been running like a dream. Its a great affordable commuter car that has some quick speed on turns. Very reliable, every Mazda my family has owned has had 230k+ miles put on it. Definitely will be buying another Mazda after I put another 100k miles on this one!

Favorite Features

I've taken it to the snow and get through no problem. It ain't know Subaru but throw some chains on it and it runs fine through the snow. Love the roof rack that was included with the car! Reliablilty: A+

Suggested Improvements

You'd think this car with a 2.0L Engine would be a little quicker than it is off the line. Pedal to the floor and doesn't beat many cars, (my dads Corolla beats it). Interior features are not so great. Small Center console and no behind the seat storage.The cup holders only fit certain sized cups and if they are too tall they don't fit without spilling all over your gear shift. The trunk is a decent size, I suggest getting a trunk organizer to put all the stuff that you couldn't put in the center console or behind the seats.

Great, practical car
By srutig

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so fun to drive! It feels fast even at lower speeds and handles great. It is still a joy to drive with the automatic transmission. This is an extremely practical car- great for everyday commutes or for first time drivers. This car is also very reliable and running great after 11 years.

mazda protege 5 2002
By myras

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car! The best i have ever had! I just had no choice to take it off the road due to the frame holes all through it. Rust is very bad on the car its had alot of body work done to it! All floors, All wheel wells, Bottoms to all the doors! Motor out lived body! Motor is great! Runs fantastic! Rust is my whole problems with this car!

Favorite Features

Motor motor motor ! They are great! 170,00 miles still running on the original clutch!

Suggested Improvements

Frames are really bad! Body rust bad!

So sad.
By tdb3

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We're in Nova Scotia w/ moist salty air. Cars rust here; but this is the worst I've ever seen. Model is famous w/ mechanics. Body rusted - started w/ back wheel wells. Got fixed for $800, but rest of car covered in rust. Struts rusted - Got those & few other things replaced for $1000. When I bought car it had used engine. Within 1 wk, water pump failed & 2nd engine failed. 3rd engine lasted two years before it failed. When I took it in, mechanic said to junk it b/c the frame had totally rusted out underneath. Didn't believe him, so looked myself. There were holes the size of my fist all over the FRAME of the car, rest was SOFT. Scrap yd doesn't even want it b/c has too many of them!

Favorite Features

I bought this car because it handled far better than the Vibe/Matrix. It had great gas mileage; it was solid, stylish for its age; and very practical. I had no idea how much trouble it would cause me! RIP Mazda

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality steel.

Great, Reliable, Versitile, Fun to Drive Car
By midwestboiler

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2005 and have loved every mile I have driven in it. While it's only a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter, the protege5 definitely doesn't slack on pickup. The ride seems louder than normal, but that is due to how low to the ground the car is. The Protege5 has held up extremely well. Other than changing the oil, tires, brakes etc. the only actual maintenance I have had done was replace the air intake at about 80,000 miles. The seats are very comfortable. While the car is on the smaller side, it is easy to seat 4 adult males well in the car. If needed, I have added someone in the middle seat. There is still room, but a little more cramped in the back seat.

Favorite Features

-Very unique looking car. -Comfortable seats -Most reliable car I have had. -Perfect for high school/college driver. -Front wheel drive provides much better traction in snow. -My friends that are 6'4" can fit fairly well in the car. -Great handling -Brakes are effective and not too touchy. -Small size allows to park in compact spaces.

Suggested Improvements

-Gas mileage should be better based on its size.(about 26 mpg with combined city and highway driving) Should be closer to 30mpg in my opinion. -When seats are folded down, there are two levels (backs of seats laid down are higher than trunk). -Very difficult to change your own oil due to the oil filter not being easily accessible from under the car.

PROTEGE 5 STILL A WINNER
By mustangleader

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have written a couple of reviews. Bought new in May 2002. Reviews stating car is bad, guessing that either bought car used, abuse it driving or in bad weather areas. I'm in So Cal. Runs great after 195,000 miles. Only a fuel pump at 80,000 and a new alternator recently. Normal maintenance. Still original clutch. That's reliability. Drives like a go kart in twisties gets 31 highway 24-25 in town. Combine: 27 mpg. Complaints light bulbs burning out 2 often - it's bulb holder the problem, not bulb. Just drove 2011 Mazda 2 selling 4 what I paid 4 PR5, no comparison. 2 slower/smaller. Tested Honda Fit, sits 2 high. Not as fun 2 drive. Also smaller. 2 bad Mazda stopped making PR5.

Favorite Features

Driving on smooth roads and in the twisties. Though complaints of loud engine, added K&N cold air filter, Magna Flow muffler & reprogram computer for extra power. Much better sound. Combining extra power for not much money and the car's driving abilites, a great everyday car. Sports car driving position and white dials makes me feel I'm drivng a sports car. It's not pure speed like 2002 WRx that makes a car. It's the total package if you are looking for a fun car to drive daily. For size of car, more than enough cargo space when folding rear seats down.

Suggested Improvements

If you find the car underpowered which some owners feel but overlook almost all owners say the car is fun to drive, add the aftermarket equipment I did, you won't feel the car is under powered. Should have had culp holders on the side of front doors like Mazda and other auto makers do now on their models.

Excellent car (for me)
By tiborgh

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2006 when it was less than 3 years old, with 47,000 kms (about 30,000 miles). Now it has 192,000 kms (120,000 miles). I still love the car, while my wife hated it from the beginning. Very fun to drive, very practical, had less mechanical problems than the 2002 Corolla that we purchased new. Had to replace the original speakers and install an amplifier to have a decent sound. Stiff suspension and loud road noise are a deterrent for many, but that just adds to the overall fun. Recently the rear wheel wells and the doors started to show some rust. Mechanically it was quite robust, only two minor problems so far, an ABS sensor and a tie rod.

Favorite Features

Versatility, rear seat leg room (while the car is 3.5" shorter than the 2002 Corolla it has more rear leg room).

Suggested Improvements

All Protege's I've sees these days started to show some rust. Stock stereo is extremly weak. Lack of outdoor thermometer. Could use a 6th gear for the manual tranny. Fuel mileage is below the average for this class.

Worst car ever
By NEVER buy a Mazda

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I have owned our Protege 5 for almost 6 years now and it has been nothing but a headache. The sub frame has rotted practically off the car and has been fixed twice already. There are recurring problems with the check engine light and the dealer cannot determine what the issue is exactly. "spend $1000's and still not know if the issue(s) is fixed". Mazda does not stand behind their vehicles AT ALL. Sub frames rotting are a real safety issue and maybe they should look at how Toyota solved this problem. Our other car is a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire and it does NOT have rust issues. The Mazda has even been undercoated more than the Sunfire! Do not waste your money!

Favorite Features

the color

Suggested Improvements

Stop making crap and using sub par metals to construct your vehicles. Try to stand behind the vehicles you sell. After all, your name is everything and word spreads fast especially when it is BAD

Do not buy this car
By jbshagg

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. if you truly read up you will find that most other owners complain about the axles, brakes, rotors, and loadness when driving on the highway. I have it in the shop AT LEAST twice a year. It is great on gas but too light in the snow in rain. I feel unsafe in the car, and want to trade, but currently owe more on it than it is worth.

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

discontinue selling it

fast &fun
By andy arch

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased in April, 2002 P5,it is a blast to drive,it does great going uphill in these Colorado mountains,I still need to get used to being so close to the ground,and the higher road noise,overall a great little car for the money...24-27 mpg consistently,plenty of power if driven right,the +,-,tranny is so neat.Do all these low profile cars sound like loose boards when driving over bumpy road,or maybe I need struts?

Favorite Features

Power for a 4 Compact but yet it's amazing what you can haul with the seats down!

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders.better headlite system,more ground clearance.