Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (232 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Practicality AND Fun in a small car!!
By JustinMoyer10

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used and have since drove almost 15K miles & this car's great! I have become a huge fan of this car because of its practicality: LOTS of interior space for its overall size, lots of standard features for an 02, nice price. There isn't another car for the price that is that practical and so much fun to own/drive: Handling is SUPERB!, I get the sporty sense of feeling the road, I love to pack my stuff in the hatch for trips, its a great looking car as well with some nice sporty trims. Yeah you'll zoom-zoom if you get one but that's because of its precise handling, not because of its power (it could use 30-40 more horses). I wont mind driving this car for years to come!

Favorite Features

Handling makes this car a blast to drive, its looks, interior space, sound of engine (because you'll make it work), comfortable seats and lots of standard features. Not a lot of maintenance required.

Suggested Improvements

Bumpy ride, could use some more power (that's why it got a 9 in performance), headlights need replaced often, that's about it.

Fun, Reliable car to drive with some not so good features
By jwonger

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car from my brother 4 months ago. It currently has 157k miles on it and it runs great. Just changed the timing belt at 155k and so far its been running like a dream. Its a great affordable commuter car that has some quick speed on turns. Very reliable, every Mazda my family has owned has had 230k+ miles put on it. Definitely will be buying another Mazda after I put another 100k miles on this one!

Favorite Features

I've taken it to the snow and get through no problem. It ain't know Subaru but throw some chains on it and it runs fine through the snow. Love the roof rack that was included with the car! Reliablilty: A+

Suggested Improvements

You'd think this car with a 2.0L Engine would be a little quicker than it is off the line. Pedal to the floor and doesn't beat many cars, (my dads Corolla beats it). Interior features are not so great. Small Center console and no behind the seat storage.The cup holders only fit certain sized cups and if they are too tall they don't fit without spilling all over your gear shift. The trunk is a decent size, I suggest getting a trunk organizer to put all the stuff that you couldn't put in the center console or behind the seats.

Best Decision I could have made!
By TR

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car new in '02. Candy apple red with leather! I love it, love it, love it! It has been a great car. Always get looks and compliments from young guys b/c of the sweet wheels. Have 156K miles on it and am getting a new car now but only because I am getting tired of hauling stuff for other people ---fold down the seats and this car will a twin size bed, an armchair, 20 clowns and 1 elephant. I'm getting a 2 seater so no one can ask me to help them move ever again!

Favorite Features

Sporty look, huge interior space, comfortable back seat, great gas mileage, fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I've had is needing new headlights a lot and getting new low profile tires. The low profile tires don't take much to blow. Other than that, I'd feel safe driving this car to 200K miles! Great car for high school kid or college student! Safe but fun.

So sad.
By tdb3

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We're in Nova Scotia w/ moist salty air. Cars rust here; but this is the worst I've ever seen. Model is famous w/ mechanics. Body rusted - started w/ back wheel wells. Got fixed for $800, but rest of car covered in rust. Struts rusted - Got those & few other things replaced for $1000. When I bought car it had used engine. Within 1 wk, water pump failed & 2nd engine failed. 3rd engine lasted two years before it failed. When I took it in, mechanic said to junk it b/c the frame had totally rusted out underneath. Didn't believe him, so looked myself. There were holes the size of my fist all over the FRAME of the car, rest was SOFT. Scrap yd doesn't even want it b/c has too many of them!

Favorite Features

I bought this car because it handled far better than the Vibe/Matrix. It had great gas mileage; it was solid, stylish for its age; and very practical. I had no idea how much trouble it would cause me! RIP Mazda

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality steel.

Great, practical car
By srutig

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so fun to drive! It feels fast even at lower speeds and handles great. It is still a joy to drive with the automatic transmission. This is an extremely practical car- great for everyday commutes or for first time drivers. This car is also very reliable and running great after 11 years.