2003 Mazda Protege 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - ZOOM ZOOM = FUN FUN!

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Review

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

ZOOM ZOOM = FUN FUN!
By mkgyre on

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2003 ES for a month now, do not buy anything until you drive a protege'! I am 6'3 and 310 and I can actually move the drives seat FORWARD and still be comfortable! I refused to get anything but a manual so while the HP output could be better,the manual provided plenty of low-end and highway passing power. I have run my car hard both in the city and on the highway and only gone under 30mpg once. This cars handling is UNBELIEVEABLE! I took a 90 degree banked corner at about 40MPH and the car stuck to the road like a suicidal squirrel. My wife loved my car SO MUCH that we went back to the Mazda dealer and got her a Mazda 6!

Favorite Features

handling, manual tranny, handling, exterior and interior styling, and oh yeah....did I mention the handling?

Suggested Improvements

The stereo, while it doesnt "suck", comes close. Sound output and dynamics are weak. The suspension is so tightly tuned (my key to the death turn above) that you bounce a bit on the highway. Make the 2.4L found in the 6 standard and you'd get more power on less gas.