2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: THE budget sedan for sports ca

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

THE budget sedan for sports car lovers
By Mike in St Louis on

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife wanted a "small" car to replace her 97 Civic EX. With that in mind, we found this to be the best car available. I love the way the Protege handles. It's not as fun as my Miata, but much more fun than any of the above mentioned cars. More power would be welcome, but I'm willing to trade off some power for the excellent handling. While I would prefer to have the 170HP Mazdaspeed model, it was going to cost close to $6000 more (dealer markups) & we couldn't have got the 0% interest loan. Bottom line....if you prefer sports cars but need a sedan, and if your budget is under $20,000, get this car. You won't regret it.

1) excellent handling, 2) good brakes, 3) great reliability history, 4) sporty exterior styling, 5) buttery smooth shifter, & 6) not a million of them on the road like the Civic or Corolla.

1) Please give it 20 more HP, 2) Fix the factory alarm....it is going off at random & we're going to have to get it adjusted by the dealer