Some flaws after a few miles
By Cheaprick29 on
2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car about a year & 1/2 ago. Paid $8k w 55k and now has 82k. The A/C doesn't work on 2 or 3 setting. The transmission makes a 'growling' or humming noise and continues to get worse the more I drive it. The trunk leaks due to a faulty trunk seal; My car smells like mildew all the time because water gets under the carpets. Had to replace the drive belts around 60k due to squeaking. Hit curb and cost $3800 to fix; not the best car to get into an accident in due to thin sheet metal. Other than that, the car is a great car. I switched out the stock head unit for a Pioneer; the CD player didn't work properly. I like the aux connection on my new head unit.
Favorite Features
Handling is amazing; I never have to hit the brake on sharp turns. Headlight design. Above average interior plastics. Fit and finish is amazing. Side mirrors are very high quality. My favorite thing is the steering wheel, its small and very sporty looking. Looks great when all cleaned up.
Suggested Improvements
Smoother ride, stiffer sheet metal, better gas mileage; I get about 26 MPG combined (I do floor it all the time!). Change the instrument panel lights to blue; green isn't right for this car.