Overall A Good Buy
By JonSMayer on
2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I have had my Protege for about 3 months now and it is doing well. The actual buying experience was horrible (Note: Avoid Kings Mazda in Cincinnati, OH at all costs) but I got a decent price for the ES with the 6- CD/Moonroof option for around 14,900 out the door. The wind noise no problem, I find it only noticeable on very windy days. The gas mileage was a little dissapointing, I think I get about 25-27 mpg combined. Another small complaint I have is that the air conditioning never gets really cold, and on hot days (90's) takes much longer than you would like to cool down. Other than that the car has done well and I hope that this trend continues.
Favorite Features
Ride quality is good for the class of this car. The sound system is pretty decent for factory - although I'm not judging by Audiophile standards. Overall, I'm happy with it.
Suggested Improvements
The gas mileage is a definite must improve. The car would be much more competetive if it could get to the low to mid 30's in mpg, as does some of its major competition (Civic, Corolla,etc.)