2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: Great Car, Great Price

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Review

Great Car, Great Price
By Denver Dude on

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Into my third week with the car, and I'm still honeymooning. What an excellent automobile! It has decent acceleration, but in the first 800 miles I averaged an unbeatable 32 mpg. Also, I'm 6'4", and the car has enough headroom, esp. with the sunroof option. I also love that option packages are reasonably priced ($690 for Moonroof/6-CD, $490 for ABS and Side-Airbags). I bought the LX model from McDonald Automotive in Centennial, CO. I've been happy so far with the precise manny tranny (five-speed). The dealer was wonderful, the car is great, what a terrific few weeks it has been. I hope the rest of my experience with the car is as much fun.

Interior space, folding rear seats, incredible handling, especially around corners. Front headlamp and front grille styling greatly improved from previous models. The outside styling borrows quite a few great attributes from the Audi A4 and some smaller BMW's.

Missing power door lock/unlock switch on passenger side. Not much storage space for small items (i.e. phones, sunglasses, garage openers). Manual shifter close to passenger's leg. Wish they'd change the name to "Mazda3".