2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: Affordable doesn't have to be

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

ES Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Affordable doesn't have to be boring
By Omar Oddfellow on

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far (five months) my car has been nothing but great. Very fun to drive with great suspension, and it's decent on gas. No matter what I do it averages 28mpg. Fat steering wheel, firm seats, excellent handling and very good build quality. Front seat bottom is adjustable - helps long legs! And I don't see myself everywhere I go. In fact, I have not yet seen another ES the same color. Kids down the street said "cool car." The floormats are cheap and might as well not be included, and the 6-CD stereo doesn't have a lot of volume but everything else is above expectations.

Nice wheels, killer handling, nice sporty ride, great body lines, great brakes, love the fat, three spoke steering wheel, made in Japan = quality.

Needs better engine - more power, better gas mileage like Hondas. Also needs wider stock tires on stock 16" wheels (comes w/195). Don't like tail light design.