2003 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
A great little car
By mollie382 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned this vehicle for one year and have had no troubles with this car. Excellent power with the 5-speed transmission. Handling is superb. The only maintenance needed so far were oil changes. Only two real complaints. First, the car turns too many RPM in 5th gear on the highway, making for a noisy ride. Second, the weatherstriping on the windshield causes an irritating whistling noise when you're driving with a moderate-to- strong crosswind. Slight flaws for an otherwise wonderful car.

one of the best in its class
By g man on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have been pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of this vehicle it is well built and stylish for a car in this class .i read reviews on all car in this class and decided on the mazda after test drives of all vehicles and i am not disapointed. the car handles like a dream the best bar none in this class. do your self a favor and take one out for a spin.i heard alot about road and wind noise being a problem i do not hear it just as quiet as most cars in this class.

Not a lot of buck, but a lot of bang
By brb588 on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I totalled my previous car ('02 Chevy Tracker) and was looking for a gently used car/SUV. I originally wanted a Honda CR-V, but it was way out of my price range. Thank God I looked at the '03 Protegé. It had about 11K miles, and I test drove it along side a brand new one, and they both drove excellently. The thick steering wheel and peppy engine were immediately noticable. Everything was nicely laid out, the seats were comfortable, and the car was rather attractive for its low price. I have had it for a month, and I simply love it. Forget a Civic, get a Protegé!

Zoom Zoom
By Johnnie on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my protege with the year end incentives. Could'nt resist the Zero percent financing. Drove the Civic, Focus, Corolla...but they were not as fun to drive. The Mazda doesn't get as good of gas mileage... but it's way fun to drive.

Not a dragster
By Lyndal on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Paid 12300 out the door.Good work car warms up fast in cold winters and runs fine.Like the cd player sounds clear and easy to use. Kids like it, has rear heat duct under seats that work and has fair comfort.Nice trunk space that is roomy.Very solid with no rattles.

A LITTLE WIND NOISE
By PROTEGE OWNER on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

EVER SINCE I BOUGHT THE PROTEGE 3 MONTHS AGO AFTER I TOTALLED OUT A HYUNDAI 01 ELANTRA I HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT IMPRESSED.

Oh this is nice...and fun!
By A Hondaguy on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always driven Hondas until the year end incentives led me to look at a Mazda. I have owned Preludes, and driven Civics, and my wife and I tested a Focus. The Protoge had better interior quality than the Ford, and more pep than a Civic. After test driving the car and comparing cost and features my wife and I both agreed on the Mazda. I love the the standard features of the LX. Throw on a spoiler, add the moonroof and 6cd package and it was a great deal for just over 13k out the door.

I love mazda
By RHagel on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite that I am a big fan of mazda, this car is by far the best in its class. Though it is a bit noisy and the suspension is a bit harsh at times, it is incredibly fun to drive and the interior rivals most all competitors. Look for th enew Mazda 3 in dealerships, I have driven one and it is next on my want list.

Great little car!
By nmendell on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a step-down for me... from a Jeep Cherokee. The transition was easy. I got the 5-speed and glad I did. I miss the power, but with the manual shift, you have a little more control. Comfortable interior and great sound system.

Love the 4-speed overdrive
By quksylver on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is perfect for driving around town and a short commute. The auto. transmission is comfortable and the 4-speed overdrive gives it a little kick, especially around corners and on the highways getting around those trucks. Gas mileage is pretty good and all in all, I love my little Mazda.