2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Run it to death
By Canton Chris on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is my workhorse, as far as packing on the miles. In 1.5 years, I have put 47,000 miles on this car. New tires, front brake pads, and periodic oil/air filter changes are pretty much the only costs so far. Gas mileage keeps getting better are the car gets more miles on it. I love the pickup it has in traffic and around town. It is zippy when you need it. It's a great car.

2003 protege
By dcastillo on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is more than what i expected. It has great looks and enough power to move in and out of traffic on the freeway. Handles beautifully.

King of the compacts!
By wetcoaster on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Protege as a replacement for a totaled Corolla. Suffice to say, the Toyota isn't missed too much! Mazda has done well with its Protege series, blending attractive, if not standout, looks, sporty performance, and a good range of features. The Protege is great fun to drive around in with its tight handling characteristics. Its comfortable interior is well-appointed and coordinated for a car of its price range. All in all, it's a good-looking car that's equal parts practicality and sportiness. Let's hope Mazda is able to maintain this balance with the new 3. So who says nothing good comes out of an accident?

Great performer for the price
By D-rock240 on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after my Subaru Legacy was totaled by a tractor trailer and was very impressed. I had my reservations about getting a protegé because I didnt like the mid 90's styling. Out of all the cars that I test drove this was the best. This has excellent driver feedback, especially the steering. It turns and stops on a dime and there is no steering looseness whatsoever. With the larger wheels and v-rated tires this car hugs curves. I find myself taking freeway on/off ramps at 40mph just because it sticks so well and there is minimum body roll. The interior is very roomy and the layout is simple and functional. This is the best handling car in class.

ZOOM ZOOM
By RBOB24 on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

FUN TO DRIVE, THIS CAR HANDLES LIKE A SPORTS CAR. ITS QUICK OFF THE LINE AND ACCELERATES VERY SMOOTHLY. THE GAS MILEAGE IS GOOD, AND THE FIT AND FINISH IS SUPER.

A Great Purchase !
By 1960vw on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great little car with plenty of pickup! Very roomy for two adults front and two in back. Very good gas milage.

WOW!!
By wk3 on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car less than a week and I'm already in love with it. The handling is great, the fuel economy is better than advertised and the comfort is better than the VW I used to drive. I also have no reservations about strapping in my daughter's carseat and putting her in the back seat. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun, fuel efficient and safe vehicle.

Mazda is sooo underrated!
By lonestar on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a leftover 2003...can't believe it was still on the dealer lot. Haven't owned a Mazda in 14 years...and had forgotten what I was missing, obviously. Selected the Protege over the Civic and Corolla.

Better then the competition
By Mazda Boy on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never looked at Mazda before but am I impressed.This car offers more standard equipment then the competition.Love the look of the car front and rear.checked out toyota and honda both seem bland to me.We bought the Lx and we always get compliments on the color and interior space.What impressed me most has been the build quality of mazda.I have always bought american vehicles but I was impressed on how tight this vehicle rides and corners.You won't go wrong buying this car!!!!!! I highly recommend it.FUN>FUNRead the full review

top of the line ES
By Unitenyc on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Black Mazda Protege ES in December 2003. the retail price was $18,050, I got a $2,500 rebate and hagggled hard. I got it for 13,000 before taxes. I think that is remarkable. It came with every option except sunroof and anti-lock brakes, but the 4 wheel disc brakes have massive stopping power. It has 16" aluminum alloy wheels and Dunlop tires! Halogen headlights! All around a great car and I feel I got alot of car for the money. Much cheaper than honda civic and toyota corolla. But they can't compare to this car. Mazda should have never stopped making this car. I would ONLY purchase the ES. It is a finely made, fun to drive, easy to own auto.