Used 2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Little car with BIG attitude
By Mazda Forever

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Protege is the best little car anyone can have. It is great on fuel. It attracts a lot of attention because of the style and mainly the color because it is Laser Blue Mica. I get offers to buy my car even though it is not for sale. I like the way it rides except for the road noise. I think that has to do with the low profile tire on my car.

Favorite Features

Color, style and rear spoiler.

Suggested Improvements

In case they decide to make another Protege, I would like for the car to have at least 2 or 3 different tire types it can have on it instead of 1 such as Low Profile tires that are sometimes expensive. Maybe a better stereo system, and possible reduction of road and wind noise.

Mazda Protege LX sedan 2003
By Luigi

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda. It works well and I've never really had a problem with it even after someone hit me going 40 when I was at a complete stop. Not that much damage done to it when it was hit, but it did cost a few thousand dollars to get it fixed. Very fun to drive. Pretty fast (obviously not a Corvette or BMW, but still fast enough to make you happy). Very good handling and easy layout of controls (minus the power windows switch for driver. I always press the back ones on accident). Other then that I'm glad I have it. Gas could be better especially with the prices the way they are now.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel. The sound of the engine. The speed it can handle. The handling itself. And the stereo (though I don't like that the buttons get really hot after playing a cd for a while).

Suggested Improvements

Move the power window switch for the driver down more. Offer power seats, and a stiffer back seat. The back seat it way too soft.

Mixed feelings
By DJ

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One one hand, I love the power and handling you get with such a small sticker price. The Protege killed the Civic and the Corolla in the test drive. It's been a lot of fun!! However, I've had to throw a lot of money at it in the four years I've owned it. I've replaced both wheel bearings twice and the stabilizer links twice also. Very disappointing. The mileage isn't all that great either.

Favorite Features

The power out of that little 2.0L!!

Suggested Improvements

The Mazda factory needs to spend the extra nickel on better suspension and drive parts.

Zoom Zoom
By icspots

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not the car I wanted when I went shopping! I wanted the SUV but couldn't really afford it then and sort of settled for the Protege. I fell in love with this car. I recently had the chance to trade car in for the SUV, I was tempted but I couldn't part with car. I plan to pay off the car then get the SUV also!

Favorite Features

Plenty of ZIP, Don't even miss old V-6 car. Very good gas mileage. Pretty roomy for a small car. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in back seat & better placement in front. (2 large Sonic drinks sort of cramped.) Tint on windshield & sunroof would be good.

Good overall car
By jpc477

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife & I purchased this brand new off the lot in April of 2003 so we've had the car five years now. It started off as her car, and then became my car after she bought a Honda Fit in August of 2006. Overall, the car has been a good car. The handling is outstanding & very responsive. It runs smoothly, and is comfortable to drive. The only issues we had with it was the alternator going out in it. The alternator went failed right after we bought it, and again about a year ago, but it was replaced at no cost both times. Other than that, it's needed nothing other than routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride & excellent handling. Is very responsive to quick turns & holds the road very well. Acceleration is decent with the 2.0 liter engine.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better. My 95 Accord with a 2.2 liter engine got better mileage. Road noise is very noticeable. Down-shifting with the automatic transmission seems to be a bit slow. This has always been the case since the car was new. Nothing wrong with transmission, it's just how it works