2003 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Still happy after 4 years!
By J-man on 12/18/07 19:36 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this loaded out ES model new in 2003 w/ nearly 4K off sticker. My wife drove the car daily but now after 4 yrs it's my car. Very fun daily driver. Always liked the sporty firm suspension. Very nice road/steering feed back. Like a 4 dr miata! :o) We took a 12 hr trip and I'm a 6 footer so it was a bit too cramped after a few hours (lots of breaks). Ideal small car for most uses. Car still looks sharp after 4 years, and still happy! Gas mileage is near the sticker claim of 30-32 hwy. The small tank means affordable $35 fill-ups @$3/gal. Great Mazda reliabilty and no maintenance issues so far. Still have orig. brake pads after 49k miles. Highly recommend this car for anyone!!

Transmission failed
By t2k on 07/19/07 18:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission started growling as the warranty expired. Front wheel bearings seized up. Had to replace brake rotors due to rust. Too many problems in its young life. Traded it in on a Mazda6.

Mazda Protege LX 2.0 2003
By Joey pep on 06/19/07 08:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was interested in the Protege with the 2.0 engine because of its incredible reliability and performance, but it has a very nice complex style for a car this size. I suggest this car if you hesitate between a Honda Civic, a Protege 2.0 and a Nissan Sentra. And for young drivers, the insurance is pretty low compared to other vehicles. In the 5 spd manual, unlike other cars in that class, you still feel the torque in 3rd and 4th. The LX model is very comfy. And for the admirers of audio systems, don't underestimate the Protege's. I plan on keeping it stock because I love it so much.

What a car!
By SOB on 08/25/06 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say that I really enjoy owning and driving this vehicle. Mind you most of my driving miles are roughly 60-70% highway miles and I have experienced excellent mpg. I have to add that my maintenance costs have been relatively low as well, the only major repair was scheduled maintenance for the timing belt interval, two brake jobs and 2 sets of tires. I do talk highly about this car and would recommend it to someone looking for a similar type vehicle. Other notable points that maybe trivial but are annoying is the "hey your seatbelt is not buckled" alarm when you are in an idle state. It does have a stiff ride and have noticed that road noise creeps in louder as the rubber gets thinner.

Happy owner
By vroom vroom vroom on 02/13/06 21:37 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Protege for almost two years now and it was been a joy to drive to work. It handles well for an economy car and has a surprising amount of room for my wife, two kids and my black lab. The 5-speed is smooth and precise. Steering has nice feel.

Great car!
By TRENT on 01/25/06 14:22 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Test drove other vehicles before i purchased the Protege. Civic, Neon, Corolla, Focus. Was hooked when i drove the Protege. Hugged the road and had plenty of pep. Great on long trips, will drive all day and all night

The 2003 Mazda Protege is wonderful
By Steve Ragan on 01/21/06 21:59 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The '03 Protege DX is beautifully designed inside and out. There is plenty of space inside for CD's and other things you need within arms reach. Both doors have ample side pockets for ice scrapers, etc. Driving it is pure joy. I have a manual, and there is plenty of get up and go on the highway as well in town. The ride is smooth and quiet. It is very spacious inside.There is plenty of trunk space. It has much more room than a Sentra and other cars that fall into this sedan category. And, it is less expensive than other sedans in this category. I have had it since new, and have not had one problem.The gas mileage is very good.

Good Car
By grayghost on 12/04/05 12:43 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used (34K miles). Within one week of purchase, I made a 2000 mile trip with no problems. The only maintenance performed have been oil-filter changes and a front end alignment. The room inside the car is better than my previous vehicle, a 2000 Mercury Sable.

Maza vs. Subaru
By Matt on 10/25/05 14:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives the Mazda and I drive the Subaru. She loves it. Only issue so far - passenger window fell off the track. This vehicle comes with a 50,000 mile warranty. Dealer fixed it, no hassle. I raced my wife one time off the line with our 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (165hp). She won! but not by much =). We've been very pleased with this car. Never bought Mazda before, happy we did. Would definitely buy Mazda again.

Mazda Protege
By narayanmg on 09/03/05 11:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I switched from Honda Civic to Protege. The driving experience is amazing. The car is so much fun to drive. I have a 5 speed model and love it in the city driving. I have had it for over a month and already clocked about 1500 miles on it. My average mileage in the city varies from 33-37 per gallon.