Used 2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Love the 4-speed overdrive
By quksylver

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is perfect for driving around town and a short commute. The auto. transmission is comfortable and the 4-speed overdrive gives it a little kick, especially around corners and on the highways getting around those trucks. Gas mileage is pretty good and all in all, I love my little Mazda.

4-speed overdrive

It jerks shifting down into 1st gear in the overdrive. The seats are a little meager and could be larger and more comfortable.

Great reliable car
By klcaz1963

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would definitely recommend this vehicle. I purchased the 5 speed manual transmission and it is fun to drive. It is a comfortable car with everything within reach. This car has a huge trunk w/ a great split seat feature. I appreciate the "anchor" system for my son's car seat. I feel safe and secure while driving; it handles very well on the road. Only wish that it was not so loud inside.

Tight suspension, Interior controls very easy to reach, Comfortable seats, Pretty roomy interior,

Drink cup holders not the easiest location especially if your car phone is plugged into the lighter area, you basically cannot use the second cup holder, raise the center "armrest/compartment" a couple of inches, a bit on the noisy side inside car,

Almost Perfect
By Donilee

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was very happy with my buying experience, with the dealership, from the salesman, to the service manager. I expected better gas mileage, but it gets about 28 or 29 mpg. Even on the open road it only gets 30 mpg if the a/c is off. It is very comfortable, and has ample room for elbows, etc. That was a big deal to me. It still looks like a new car, even after six months. It handles very well. If you want alot of get up and go, it is not as good as some others maybe, but it has enough for me.

Style--it looks like a more expensive car. Easy to clean--I don't pay for expensive wash jobs, it is easy to do myself. Maneuvers easily. Huge trunk area, and great access from back seat to trunk.

protege es
By toddla

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for 3 months, I can say I fall into the majority of owners posted here.I paid 14200 for an ES, 6cd/moonroof including rebate. The car is fun to drive, low on power, but I get 30mpg weekly driving steady 50/55 mph to and from work. Hello Mazda, build the protegespeed for the masses. Hands down styling beats Honda/Toyota etc.

Build quality and roominess and price.

Another 40 hp would be nice and a limited slip diff.

Mazda Protege Review
By cliff9826

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car has sharp turning radius. Can pull into parking area with no problem at all. Car has good pick-up speed. Love the sound system. Lots of trunk room. Good car overall for the price. For taller driver lots of head room. Nice stiff handling. Only problems are that it's not comfortable on long rides and I dont see where its great on fuel, I only get 250 miles on full tank of gas with all highway driving.

The look of the car has a look of class/luxury and the great fun of a sports car. The turning radius is fantastic. Moonroof is nice. Sound system is great. Backseats can come down all the way for bigger stuff, it's like I have an SUV without the extra pricetag!

More comfortable seating. Take those kids tire "rims" off the rust is easy to see on the rotar most people who buy the car are not eighteen. The fuel economy is terrible.