2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
I wish I hadn't bought the Protege!
By japan76 on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since day one, I have had nothing but problems with my Protege. A wheel bearing was the first problem as I drove the car off the lot the day I picked it up. I went a mile before I turned around back to the dealership. In the shop for two days waiting for a part. A month later, my interior lights stayed on even when the engine was turned off. Spent one week at the selling dealership to rewire car. Last month it was the oil leak of oil leaks. Seal had to be replaced. That's it, now I am going to force the dealership to buy the lemon back. Have contacted an attorney that handles problems of this nature.

A 4-door Miata with Mercedes Quality
By Creek Car Guy on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fifth Protege (counting my 323GT). I wish I still owned ALL of my Proteges. This car has the fit and finish equal to the new Mercedes I have also owned. I use this car as a "sports car" for kayaking and camping trips, so it is my "escape" vehicle. I have used some of my previoius ones as my main commuter car with excellent results as well.

Happy to zoom
By English Guy on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove the spec v, the corolla s, the matrix, the vibe gt, the mini, the wrx, and many other cars. Why didn't someone just tell me about the Protege and save me the trouble? Yeah, the WRX is awesome, but it's about six grand more. The MINI is fun, but who can you share the fun with? Your smallest friends? Great car!

Best in class small Sedan
By m1zd1 on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car so far, engine is responsive, manual shift is smooth, seats are comfortable, stearing is precise, suspension and tires give good handling, braking is good. Vehicle is roomy and comes with many options Standard. Price is lower than competition and 97% of Vehicle is made in Japan!

Sheet Metal Sport Jacket!
By dynamho on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The sport jacket: 1. Casual but appropriate 2. Dapper but not stuffy 3. Athletic but intelligent 4. Spontaneous but dependable 5. Flirty but mannerly The Protege is my sheet metal sport jacket.

Good car
By Zukkini on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good car, handles great, acceleration good. Great exterior style, crisp shifting on the 5 spd. From my previous Mazda (GLC, 85, 200 k) I would expect great reliability and no rusting. Hower, the cons are a/ 160 treadware rating on the tires (that is bad!) b/the front disk brake is held by the hub nut so for replacement the bearing assebly will have to be pulled; c/ difficult access to oil filter; d/ did not like the dimples on the steering wheel/shift lever e/ no head rest on back seats f/ the front wheel rims were bent on my model which gave shimming on the steering.

A sport car in sheep clothing
By MoreZoom on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've test-driven Toyota Matrix base, 2002 Honda Civic LX and Mazda LX (all auto as gf wanted) before my final purchase of this Protege LX. Base Matrix was $16,000 plus, Civic LX was $15,000 plus, Mazda LX was $14,880 b/f tax to me with alloy wheels. Man, price was the prime deciding factor at first. Then, after test drives, I found that the Matrix's 130 horses was not enough to move the 2800-plus lbs of the auto, Honda - Na! No torgue! Protege won with 135 torgue and 130 hp for its 2700 lbs for the auto. Man, the road-holding is great! Fun-to-drive little car!

This is one pimp car
By SupaFunkyKid on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, and Chevy can't touch this car. The perfect definition of what a small sedan should be.

Love it!!!
By Carin on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. You definitely get more bang for your buck. The stereo rocks, the moon roof is romantic and the sport package with the rear spoiler and a sporty clutchless stick puts any girl in a class with the boys.

Zoom-Zoom Protege
By Cars4me89 on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great value, except it needs a bigger engine and it really need a leather seating option(or vinyl).