Used 2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Not a dragster
By Lyndal

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Paid 12300 out the door.Good work car warms up fast in cold winters and runs fine.Like the cd player sounds clear and easy to use. Kids like it, has rear heat duct under seats that work and has fair comfort.Nice trunk space that is roomy.Very solid with no rattles.

Favorite Features

Price and service after the sale mazda provides.

Suggested Improvements

Storage for maps behind front seats.Light in glove box Bigger center console

A LITTLE WIND NOISE
By PROTEGE OWNER

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

EVER SINCE I BOUGHT THE PROTEGE 3 MONTHS AGO AFTER I TOTALLED OUT A HYUNDAI 01 ELANTRA I HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT IMPRESSED.

Favorite Features

THE SIX DISC CD CHANGER AND THE SUNROOF.

Suggested Improvements

ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED WITH MINE IS A LOT OF WIND NOISE EITHER COMING FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE DOOR OR THE SEATBELT ATACHMENT ON THE SIDE BEAM.

Oh this is nice...and fun!
By A Hondaguy

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always driven Hondas until the year end incentives led me to look at a Mazda. I have owned Preludes, and driven Civics, and my wife and I tested a Focus. The Protoge had better interior quality than the Ford, and more pep than a Civic. After test driving the car and comparing cost and features my wife and I both agreed on the Mazda. I love the the standard features of the LX. Throw on a spoiler, add the moonroof and 6cd package and it was a great deal for just over 13k out the door.

Favorite Features

I love the peppy engine and great handling. I also really like the smooth 5-speed manual. I have enjoyed the 6cd changer more than I expected, and I am addicted to having a moonroof. I also really like the Laser Blue paint.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel efficency has been a little less than I had hoped, but still around 30mpg. Perhaps include a passenger side automatic lock for the doors.

I love mazda
By RHagel

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite that I am a big fan of mazda, this car is by far the best in its class. Though it is a bit noisy and the suspension is a bit harsh at times, it is incredibly fun to drive and the interior rivals most all competitors. Look for th enew Mazda 3 in dealerships, I have driven one and it is next on my want list.

Favorite Features

Steering/handling, 16" Alloy wheels, nice interior, decent engine performance

Suggested Improvements

Engine needs more power and refinement, suspension is noisy and harsh over rough surfaces, more lumbar support in the seats.

Great little car!
By nmendell

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a step-down for me... from a Jeep Cherokee. The transition was easy. I got the 5-speed and glad I did. I miss the power, but with the manual shift, you have a little more control. Comfortable interior and great sound system.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Nice smooth ride. Like the moon-roof and CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

None here!