2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
One of the Best Balanced Sedans
By SouthlandHB on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 1999 Corolla. It was a great car, but it was more vanilla than The Breyer's Ice Cream Factory. No excitement, no fun! If your looking for all the pluses of the Toyota Corolla's build quality & reliability, but want something MUCH more fun to drive. MUCH more stylish, the Protege is IT. I put every single option on this car, from the Auto-dimming Rear View mirror to the cargo net in the trunk. If it was an option, I put it on this car. Friends with MUCH more expensive cars, actually like driving my car and draw comparisons to their much more expensive the Audi A4 and the like. What's that tell ya?

Just Luv it
By rpbrick on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for about 3-wks now and already have 1300 miles on it. Build quality is top notch w/no rattles or loose things to complain about. Engine is quit willing and quiet also. I got this car w/6-cd package and moonroof and just love the sound & sky. Trans is nice and smooth (5-spd) and ride is also great (firm, yet well controlled). Many compliments from my carpool buddies. Would highly recommend!

Beats the Civic in every way!
By ojbux on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this car (LX) as a Christmas gift to myself. I was choosing between the Civic, Corolla, Matrix and Sentra. I'm so glad i chose this one. It is so crisp and build quality is excellent. ConsumerReports Magazine rates it's reliablity higher than the "almighty" honda civic and equal to the Accord. Interior is one of the best. Styling looks sharp and sophisicated unlike the cutesy-cutesy corolla or civic. It came with cool wheels, bright tip muffler,in-dash 6 cd changer. All in all, this car is much fun to drive.

Don't buy this car whatever you do.
By Harry B. on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The suspension is horrendous and the ride nauseating on anything other than perfectly smooth roads.The Protege' requires a double dose of Drammamine to avoid the use of a barf-bag enroute. You literally will find it difficult to change radio stations or take a sip from a beverage because of the pulsating and shakey ride. Both the dealership and my own personal mechanic told me there is nothing wrong with the car it just has the suspension tuned this way. I will trade mine in as soon as I can and even though I will loose a lot of money it will be well worth it to get rid of the bouncemobile.

THE budget sedan for sports car lovers
By Mike in St Louis on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife wanted a "small" car to replace her 97 Civic EX. With that in mind, we found this to be the best car available. I love the way the Protege handles. It's not as fun as my Miata, but much more fun than any of the above mentioned cars. More power would be welcome, but I'm willing to trade off some power for the excellent handling. While I would prefer to have the 170HP Mazdaspeed model, it was going to cost close to $6000 more (dealer markups) & we couldn't have got the 0% interest loan. Bottom line....if you prefer sports cars but need a sedan, and if your budget is under $20,000, get this car. You won't regret it.

Great Value
By COOLIGOTANEWCAR! on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very happy with my new Protege. What a great car for 15 grand! Good looks, great 5 speed, and it really does have a nice quick engine. Looked at the Sentra, Ion, Corolla, and the "Out of my price range" Galant. Sentra was nice, def my second choice, although the GXE doesn't have alloys standard and I don't think it felt as quick or handled as well as the Protege...if you are shopping for a small car, don't go to the Mazda dealer last like I did...go there first!

fun and functional
By alan4491 on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

looked at other cars in its class (civic, corolla, lancer), but this was the best value w/ options i got (auto, abs w/ side airbags) . . . cool alloys and dual front airbags are std. on LX. great for commuting to work and large enough for my growing family (4 so far).

A Little disappointmenting
By sunrup on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like the drive the Protege offers, have a milion complaints about the gas mileage. The car has 12000 miles on it and still does not give me good mileage in the city. It does not go beyond 23 miles to a gallon. The overall build is pretty ok, it is definitely fun to drive. A few creaks have developed on the front doors, but the dealer said that was how these cars were built. The Accords give better mileage and I feel a little short changed on that front, may be I should have got a bigger car. The engine is now far more noisier, for 12000 miles I am a little disappointed at that.

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOM
By ROCHELLE on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I HAVE ONE THAT I WILL NEVER PART FROM!

low end version of a german car
By MaZda@NY on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about a year now and i havent had any problems with it. It definitely requires more power, can't do much with a flashy spoiler if it has 130hp!! Overall looks good. Should definitely have cup holders at the back.. it sucks to have nowhere to put the cups! Nice interiors.