Used 2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

ZOOM ZOOM
By RBOB24

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

FUN TO DRIVE, THIS CAR HANDLES LIKE A SPORTS CAR. ITS QUICK OFF THE LINE AND ACCELERATES VERY SMOOTHLY. THE GAS MILEAGE IS GOOD, AND THE FIT AND FINISH IS SUPER.

Favorite Features

LOOKS AND COMFORT

Suggested Improvements

A LITTLE MORE HP

A Great Purchase !
By 1960vw

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great little car with plenty of pickup! Very roomy for two adults front and two in back. Very good gas milage.

Favorite Features

Tilt wheel a bonus. Interior exterior mirror adjustment is a plus.

WOW!!
By wk3

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car less than a week and I'm already in love with it. The handling is great, the fuel economy is better than advertised and the comfort is better than the VW I used to drive. I also have no reservations about strapping in my daughter's carseat and putting her in the back seat. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun, fuel efficient and safe vehicle.

Favorite Features

Easy to reach controls. Great handling. Nice styling inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Quiter ride and more power. ABS as a standard feature. Repositioned cigarette lighter for use as power source.

Mazda is sooo underrated!
By lonestar

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a leftover 2003...can't believe it was still on the dealer lot. Haven't owned a Mazda in 14 years...and had forgotten what I was missing, obviously. Selected the Protege over the Civic and Corolla.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine when mated with 5-spd trans. Excellent driver's position.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest really serves no useful purpose other than as a cover for the storage container underneath it.

top of the line ES
By Unitenyc

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Black Mazda Protege ES in December 2003. the retail price was $18,050, I got a $2,500 rebate and hagggled hard. I got it for 13,000 before taxes. I think that is remarkable. It came with every option except sunroof and anti-lock brakes, but the 4 wheel disc brakes have massive stopping power. It has 16" aluminum alloy wheels and Dunlop tires! Halogen headlights! All around a great car and I feel I got alot of car for the money. Much cheaper than honda civic and toyota corolla. But they can't compare to this car. Mazda should have never stopped making this car. I would ONLY purchase the ES. It is a finely made, fun to drive, easy to own auto.

Favorite Features

The best features are the styling, it looks great now that I have the windows tinted. the rear spoiler is nice and lowkey. The car handles incredibly as normal and very high speeds. I love the sport automatic transmission which gives me the option to shift like a manual.

Suggested Improvements

The improvements I would like to have are more horsepower and a premium sound system.