2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
I would do it again
By dsr1sdj on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a replacement vehicle for the company car that was removed from me as part of a cost reduction. I have just under 5000 miles on the car currently with no problems to date ... I drove ALL competitive compact vehicles , yes I said all Toyota, Honda,Nissan,Ford,Chevy,Saturn,Mitsubis hi..Any way this Mazda was by far the best driving of all the cars I drove..Best handling and acceleration.least amount of noise at freeway speeds. Overall a pleasure to drive for a compact car.

Great Car, Great Price
By Denver Dude on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Into my third week with the car, and I'm still honeymooning. What an excellent automobile! It has decent acceleration, but in the first 800 miles I averaged an unbeatable 32 mpg. Also, I'm 6'4", and the car has enough headroom, esp. with the sunroof option. I also love that option packages are reasonably priced ($690 for Moonroof/6-CD, $490 for ABS and Side-Airbags). I bought the LX model from McDonald Automotive in Centennial, CO. I've been happy so far with the precise manny tranny (five-speed). The dealer was wonderful, the car is great, what a terrific few weeks it has been. I hope the rest of my experience with the car is as much fun.

Finally a reliable car!
By Pintonite on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went from a 92 Talon TSi AWD with full options to the protege with only one intention, reliability. I not only got reliability (great 4 year warranty), but I also got a very comfortable car. My Talon was less than stellar for reliability, but it was very fast and had great options. While I do miss the power and surefooted handling I can already tell that I am going to love this car.

Love my Protege!
By Newcombe on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's true! This is a really great car! We purchased the car primarily as our "Getting to the Train" car, but it's so much fun to drive, we use it on the weekends too! Much "zippier" and more reliable than our VW Jetta. Better gas mileage, stereo and seats, too!

ES Rocks
By Smoke286 on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is sweet, so much fun to drive

my new ESSA
By Curt1962 on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, a very fine small car. I miss a stronger A/C that a V6 would provide. The handling is excellent and the ride is just firm enough to feel the road, but not so rough that my wife can't sleep while I am driving. The exterior design is sharp! I really like the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty also. I have a lot of faith in the Protege so I don't expect to use the warranty, but it provides peace of mind. This is the only new car I have ever bought that I have not had to take back to the dealer several times right away for minor stuff. Built solid!

Fun little car
By rodl on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a car with the 2.0 liter engine and a five speed. This car is a great little car. I have 97 626 with 200,000 miles and not one nickle in repairs other than tires, brakes and timing belts. Still have the same clutch. And still going strong!

This is Protege #3
By JackH on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 3rd Protege and each one is better than the last. Our 2003 is agile and fun to drive. My wife's last car was a Honda Civic and I was happy when she readily agreed to the Honda LX.

Economy Car wants to be a sport car
By BOBK on 05/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2002 ES Automatic. Sharp look and style for interior/exterior. Road handling is great. Sleek and clean look in and out makes car look more expensive. Torque good enough to zip out of most turns. Feels like a sport car except for acceleration which is no worse than other cars I tested in this range. The engine makes a sturdy, raspy type sound when I get on it and gives a sport car feel. Don't expect sport care performance. Sport-shift mode is uselss because it does not respond immediately and feels no different than switching gears on an auto. Great car for the money. If it had 200 horses it could be a blast but that's a little much to ask at this price.

Excellent
By Tony on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a life saver in the past it is so affordable and very reliable. I love it. Over all A great car.