2003 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Poor MPG
By John on 06/20/10 21:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 53000Miles on this car in 2008 and ever since it's had all four brakes(Everything) replaced,4 stabilizer bars,5 struts,belts twice,timing belt,Sparkplugs and wires,4 tires at $280 each and I rust proof and do oil changes with synthetic every 3000 Miles and am getting 14MPG and the A/C barely works and the fan makes loud noises and have gone way over what I thought was a reliable car that should at least get 20 MPG. I forgot the car is bad too because if you drive alot you will be very tired od hitting potholes and trying to merge onto highways with the automatic.

I Love My "New" Mazda
By alooknac on 06/07/10 16:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a 1989 Mazda 323 hatchback and a 1994 Protege sedan. Most recently I was driving a 2006 Subaru Forester. I sold it and bought this Mazda Protege ES sedan with only 64,000 miles on it, same as my Subaru. I missed having a 5 speed and I did not like antilock brakes when they were put to the test on ice. I love my "new" car. It is fun to drive and it is very nimble compared to the Forester. Of course I gave up some cargo space but not much else. I get better gas mileage. I am averaging 29+ mpg with mixed driving. I am curious to see what I will get n pure highway driving when I go on a road trip.

I wish I could buy this car again new.
By Bornaleo819 on 03/21/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My brother passed this car on to me in 2005 after my car was totaled in an accident & he wanted to get a new BMW. He has regretted that decision ever since. I still have it today in 2010 & he has gone through about 3-4 cars still trying to find the right one. This car is reliable, does really well with gas, has good power acceleration to it, is comfortable and besides normal wear & tear with tires, the only thing that happened was a leak with the radiator & in the air intake hose there was a hole. I replaced both parts & runs like brand freaking new. Unfortunately, I have a small daughter so this car can feel tight sometimes but this is a car you will not regret getting. She's a beaut.

Still reliable after all these years
By caneshooter on 12/16/09 17:53 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My fourth consecutive Mazda. Still very reliable at 112k miles, only routine maintenance performed thus far. ES model's 2.0 motor is peppy even with the 4-speed automatic. A major negative is road noise. DX & LX Proteges were already noisy and the ES model's low profile tires take it up a notch. That's why I only rated the car a "5" for comfort.

very happy owner
By wtkidd1972 on 08/04/09 05:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car without truly being interested in a Mazda Protégé, just interested in a small, inexpensive, economical way to get to work. I had never owned a Mazda before, but the Protégé seemed like exactly what I was looking for. Six years and 95,000 miles later my Protégé runs just as well as the day I brought it home, and is still just as fun to drive. All I do is keep up with oil changes, and keep putting new tires on it. I’ve replaced the brakes once. This car has been amazing. Would love get a the new Mazda 6, but find it hard to get rid of the Protege when it still feels like a new car.

Excellent sedan
By RK on 02/12/09 20:55 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new, 5 speed trans. running fine, going on its 6th year. I have driven it across country three times and have had no issues. Always changed oil between 4k-5k use synthetic. With clean air filter on the highway I've gotten 32 MPG. Control is tight and a blast to drive on good roads. Suspension may be to stiff for some on bumpy roads. Very happy with interior, sunroof and 6 CD deck (all work fine). Also like the red interior lights (good on the eyes.

03 Mazda Protege ES - 5 speed
By 03 Mazda Protege ES on 08/09/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This really is a great solid little car. Fun to drive! Very reliable, always starts, never needs repairs. The ES has several added features, alloy wheels, power sun roof, spoiler, 4 wheel disc brakes. NICE! I have the five speed and it helps the gas mileage about 5 mpg over the automatic. Get about 27 in town if I drive it right! Car is tight, and everything always works. If your looking for a (not too) small, and dependable car that gets good mileage, this is it. I've had Hondas and the Mazda is very comparable. I can't say there's much I would change on the car, except the 5th speed overdrive design. (not enough difference between 4th and 5th speed). Brakes are excellent.

Still happy after 4 years!
By J-man on 12/18/07 19:36 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this loaded out ES model new in 2003 w/ nearly 4K off sticker. My wife drove the car daily but now after 4 yrs it's my car. Very fun daily driver. Always liked the sporty firm suspension. Very nice road/steering feed back. Like a 4 dr miata! :o) We took a 12 hr trip and I'm a 6 footer so it was a bit too cramped after a few hours (lots of breaks). Ideal small car for most uses. Car still looks sharp after 4 years, and still happy! Gas mileage is near the sticker claim of 30-32 hwy. The small tank means affordable $35 fill-ups @$3/gal. Great Mazda reliabilty and no maintenance issues so far. Still have orig. brake pads after 49k miles. Highly recommend this car for anyone!!

What a car!
By SOB on 08/25/06 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say that I really enjoy owning and driving this vehicle. Mind you most of my driving miles are roughly 60-70% highway miles and I have experienced excellent mpg. I have to add that my maintenance costs have been relatively low as well, the only major repair was scheduled maintenance for the timing belt interval, two brake jobs and 2 sets of tires. I do talk highly about this car and would recommend it to someone looking for a similar type vehicle. Other notable points that maybe trivial but are annoying is the "hey your seatbelt is not buckled" alarm when you are in an idle state. It does have a stiff ride and have noticed that road noise creeps in louder as the rubber gets thinner.

Best car I have owned
By Tommyo on 08/12/05 21:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car as a left over. Its an ES protege. This car replaces my 2000 Honda Prelude. It's no where as fast as my lude but it holds the road and is as fun to toss around the curves. The transmission and clutch work crisp and silky. The build quality is supurb The red dash lights are cool. this car is better in every respect and faster than a civic ex. This car has plenty of room for my 6'3 body. All around visibility is excellent. Never one problem. consumer reports car and driver and motor trend rate the ES high always above its competitors. All proteges are fully made in Japan. Its a tight car and rides good. The engine sounds good too. Proteges always have A#1 reliability.