2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: Great cheap car

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

Great cheap car
By RDB on

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car about 6 months ago when it had 90k miles, it now has just over 100k miles and I couldn't be happier. Not a thing went wrong with it. Very great reliable car. Inexpensive to repair. I average about 25mpg in the city and around 31-32 on the highway. Small compact car makes it easy to park compared to mom's van. Mazda really nailed this car! I also added a Mazdaspeed protege kit (front and rear bumper and spoiler) for less than $500. I plan on getting coilovers for about $300. Good kids car. I drive this car around to deliver pizza, it starts up every times and lasts for a longtime without maintence. It has never left me stranded either.

Good sporty look. Lots of aftermarket parts. Great reliability. Lots of trunk space, easy and inexpensive to maintain. Stock sound system, easy to park, 6 disk CD player. Lots of giddyup and go, especially with a 5-speed tranny. Great handling. Lots of creature comforts.

Add a trunk popper to keyless entry remote! I wish it got closer to 30mpg in the city and 35mpg on the highway for a compact car. Make seats more comfotable for longer rides. Add leather seats option.