2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: GREAT, SNAPPY & SAFE HANDLER

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

GREAT, SNAPPY & SAFE HANDLER
By BOB FISHER on

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This compact is wonderful to drive. It has great appointments, lots of room and comfort for front and back passengers. The upholstery is very serviceable. The drop down rear seatbacks allow me to carry 8' 2X4's when needed. I tried laying down to see if I could sleep in the car, but the trunk section is about 3" lower than the seat backs and the top of the opening to the trunk is not high enough to clear me lying on my side with an air vent under me to cushion the drop-down into the trunk. Oh, well. I miss my van, but the 28 mpg average is not hard to take. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Fast acceleration for passing, at all speeds. Won't tip markedly like the Ford Focus when suddenly swerving. Holds the road beautifully. Nice car.

Suggested Improvements

Need more illumination on the instrument panel for day and night. Softer arm rests needed, and a drivers assist handle like the passenger has. I would prefer a compact style antenna instead of the pull out roof mount. Fog light recesses for adding-on later would be nice, too. Need trunk light switch.