2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
I love this car so much !!
By Scuba Girl on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am SO in love with this car. It is beautifully styled and looks like a much more expensive car. My mom commented on how solid it sounded when she shut the door. I've gone on a few 2-hour-plus road trips and was very comfortable. The car has great visibility and a tight, smooth ride. The stereo sounds great, and you can adjust the bass, treble and midrange. The brushed silver trim inside adds a nice, upscale look. Everyone who has seen it has been very impressed. I feel like I made a great choice.

Good Car for the Money
By il26race on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for about 1 year and 10 months. The car has been trouble free. The only thing I have done is change the oil and rotate the tires. I was involed in a major accident which caused $7,600 damage. The car did perform well in the accident and the crumple zones did function properly. My only concern is that the seat broke backwards and it pulled up out of the floor. What troubled me was the Mazda REFUSED to talk with me about this issue, they said I had to have my insurance company or an attorney call them, I think that is very odd and suspicious.

Replacement for my 2001 Nissan Sentra
By Kim on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a ES fully loaded and really love everything about this car. I liked my Sentra but this car has got it beat (looks, ride, handling). I was originally looking at the Honda Civic but after driving the Mazda - there is no comparison. The 3 year 50,000 mile warranty and price is better too.

Replacement for my 2001 Nissan Sentra
By kim on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Quick Study
By markbt73 on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Zoom-Zoom, indeed. I've only had it for a month, and I love it already. The new car smell is gone, it's badly in need of a wash, due for an oil change, and what I'm left with is an all-around terrific car. It just does everything well, whatever I want it to do, whenever I want to do it. I'm glad they decided to use the 2 liter engine in all models this year; it makes my humble DX as quick and fun as the more expensive versions. Mine is a 5-speed, which I recommend. Seating and visibility are great, ride is a bit stiff, but boy, does it handle.

GO CART HANDLING
By MIKED on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

THIS IS A SUPERB HANDLING CAR. ITS 16 INCH DUNLOPS REALLY GRAB THE PAVEMENT. COULD USE MORE POWER (EXHAUST AND COLD INTAKE ADDS A BIT) SHIFTER AND CLUTCH REALLY SMOOTH. BEST SPORT COMPACT SEDAN THIS SIDE OF A 3 SERIES BMW!! EXCELLENT FIT AND FINISH - A GREAT CAR!!

great little car!
By raindrop on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have about 2500 miles on my Protege, and have to say that it is a great little car. I am having fun driving it around. I have a DX with an automatic transmission, and it has great pick- up. I test drove the Dodge Neon, Chevy Cavalier, Ford Focus, and the Protege beat them hands down.

It is more fun to drive than a Civic!
By AV on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As an owner of a 2002 Civic DX, I compared this with the Protege LX back to back. Both are similarly equipped and priced very closely (CDN 24000 range, tax in). I sit a little higher in the Protege but I can find a better seating position. Accelerating, the Civic feels sluggish. Stopping or slowing down, the Civic's brakes seem too touchy, and it has more lean when going around a corner. The Mazda Protege is more fun to drive. Enough said.

2002 Protege ES
By MDLockard on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege to replace my aging 94 Escort GT. I have nothing but praise for the vechicle. The handling is superb especially with 4 wheel discs and 16 inch wheels on the ES. My only complaint is lack of power which can easily be fixed with some light mods (air filter and exhaust). I'm also planning to install a strut tower bar with some stiffer springs and new shocks. For 15 grand it's the best car on the market.

Fun to Drive
By Kurt Hoeper on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 5 Mazda's including the 323 the Miata and the Protege. I have sold Hyundai, Mazda and Volswagen for 9 years and have always gone with the Mazda. The combination of value and reliability keep me coming back. The new 2.0 liter engine gives the Protege the fun to drive quotient that it needed. Love my car