Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Best small car I've owned.
By Mark L.

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In the past before purchasing this Protege, I had owned Honda LX's and Civics. All had great engines, but all would succumb to extreme body rust. Living in the Northeast this is expected. Since buying my 2002 Protege, I have no problem with rust or engine problems. Mazda also stands behind their product. Dealerships are hard to obtain. The problem encountered is tires. Original tires wear out quick. Snow tires are expensive, and all-seasons are no better. I bought Brigestone winters and run Dunlap summers. By far the best car I have owned!

Performance, pick-up, handling, front wheel drive is awesome. Good body weight distribution for front wheel drive. Gas economy.

Location of cup-holders.

good, reliable, fun car
By SPC protege

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Protege. It might not be the fastest car, or strongest car out there, but you can still leave a lil Civic in the dust. I'm into the tuner world and Iím trying to do some modifications to it but itís hard to find parts for it and when I do find some aftermarket parts, they are really expensive. All in all it is a great, reliable, and fun car to have.

I love the interior of my Protege, it's not just plain. It has nice bucket seats with kind of a suede feel to them and the dash trim is nicely painted to contrast with the interior.

Stronger, more powerful engine might be good but it's still fun to drive.

best in class
By mazda autocrosser

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is hands down the best economy car you can (could) buy. Yes, it could use more power, but it's still peppy. The handling is better than cars costing a lot more, and the brakes are the best I have ever used, period. The Protege is truly a budget BMW; so much more fun than a Sentra, Civic, or Corolla. It looks good, too; after 3 years, I still find myself turning around to look at it as I walk away. It's a little loud on the highway, but the high-performance tires have a lot to do with that. I usually get 25mpg around town and a bit over 30 on the highway. My last Protege (a 1990 model) was running strong at 225,000 miles, and I don't expect this one to be any different.

The smile it puts on my face. The tight handling; the sharp styling; the good stereo. Did I mention the brakes are fantastic?

This car could easily handle another 30 horsepower. Manual shifter throws could be a tad shorter; a taller 5th gear would help quiet the car on the highway.

Great reliable car. Don't buy a Civic!
By Gksspot

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought it but have been researching & test driving compact sedans for months! PROS -Resale value not great, was able to get into one cheap compared to others compacts -Lots of features for the class -Tight suspension makes it fun to drive -Predicted reliability -Not a run of the mill car (Civic/Accord/Corolla). CONS -Gas mileage is not as good as others in class -5th gear not tall enough, pretty high RPMs on freeway. OVERALL Car can be a bit stiff for some but I like driving so the trade off is worth it. Like I said it's a driver's cars; good steering input, feel connected to the car/road & is a blast in the twisties. Will report again a year from now with cost of ownership/reliability.

6 disk in dash CD player. Moonroof. Decent aftermarket suspension. Alloys Forum support is decent.

Taller 5th gear or a 6th speed. Better gas mileage. Lighter vehicle weight, not more power. Who wants a powerful pig that is fast in a straight line? OK I guess 90% of American drivers ... but for me I'd take a Protege with 500 less pounds and call it a day.

2002 Protege DX
By Siege

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used black 2002 Mazda Protege DX last year. It was a very good price, and had low miles. I must say that this car is wonderful in many ways. Not only is it a great looking car on both the outside and inside, but it's also got a little zip to it. Air conditioning works great, and the bass is nice when turning up the music. I found the performance very good for this type of car, and I enjoy speeding off when the light turns green. Granted this is no sports car and it won't win races, but the reliability and fuel economy, on top of being a great car overall wins me over.

I really don't have a favorite feature, but I guess something I really enjoy is the rear folding back seats and the great sounding radio. Seats are also extremely comfortable, you can fall asleep in them if you wanted.

Not much really, but I guess maybe the placement of the cupholders. It's nested perfectly in front of the transmission stick, so I have to bend around to grab my drink.