2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Poor man's Jetta
By Joshua Ranger on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We lost our 1998.5 VW Jetta last year when we were rearended (insurance totaled the car). With very little money and no desire to release again we again looked to the Protege' (my 2nd choice when I got the Jetta). I call my car a poor man's Jetta because it has much (but not all) of the "fun to drive" as our VW. It is by all accounts a do-fer (it'll do-fer now) and I will say it's much more comfortable in long drives than the VW and a much better value (I do not miss the trips to the fancy VW service centers).

good deal
By SettledForMyProtegé on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My ideal car is definitely not a four door, but being a mere college student with hardly any money, my options for buying a new car were fairly limited. For this reason, I took up a wonderful deal on my Mazda. Aside from the fact that I feel like a soccer mom in my car, I have to give credit to my little Protegé. I have only had a couple of problems with it since I've had it, but the problems were minor (including a cd getting stuck in the cd player and my alarm system being too sensitive) and were fixed promptly at the dealership.

Look around, then come here!
By GreyFox on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Did a lot of looking around for a 4- door car with a manual and sunroof being my base criteria. Had a 98 Mercury Mystique which I consider to be a fine automobile. Mazda has this market all figured out. Awesome styling, amazing handling, and great options...this is a winner. Get the 5- speed, it's impressive. Also, get the 15" wheels...they'll set you apart!

Just Totalled it Today
By Barté on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This morning, Jan 26, 03 at 12:09, three friends and I were involved in an automobile accident in my 2002 Mazda Protegé ES. The accident involved a speeding pickup truck. The impact occured MAYBE 20 degrees of an angle away from being a head-on collison. My protegé is totalled. All four of us walked away. All four.

Great ride until you open the windows
By Joe Cool on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Protege rides smooth and has plenty of low-end power so you don't have to downshift for every little hill. But there is a horrible problem when you open the rear windows. The window makes a fluttered whistling sound, and if both rear windows are opened there is a very loud thumping wind noise that nearly hurts your ears.

Style, Reliability, Fun at a GREAT Price
By Nolan Ryan on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car that would offer me reliabilty, a little excitement, and a few toys at an excellent price. I researched and drove them all (Hyundai, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc.) and no one (in the under $15K category) could touch the Mazda Protege. Check the magazines, surf the web, but most importantly, take one for a test drive! You're bound to draw the same conclusion and you won't be disappointed. I got a 2002 LX (manual) with sunroof, alloy wheels, and stadard CD player for $12,200! It handles like an expensive sports car and brakes quick and sure. I am so impressed with Mazda, that when our minivan is ready for trade in, I'm going with the MPV.

great value and fun
By tommy dee on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2002 Mazda Protege ES was purchased for my 17 year old daughter to accomodate her senior year in high school and evenutally her college years. The family agreed the looks of the Protoge were greatly imporved in 2000 and the tight handling of the car was a welcomed break from our SUVs and other mid-sized vehicles like a Chrysler's Sebring Coupe. The interior room is very comfortable and looks great. For an economy car loaded up with a moonroof/side airbags has only some common features missing compared to higher priced cars - no trunk remote and useable console armrest. This is off-set by getting a fun sporty ride and its stunning front end styling.

2002 Mazda Protege ES
By SteveR on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car handles very well, comfortable, roomy back seat for the size class. Sharp looking exterior. Automatic transmission shifts well, although it feels like it could use another gear at highway speeds. Interior looks good, not too cheap; however the center console/armrest is too low. I also wish that it had a timer on the rear defroster, door unlock buttons on the passenger doors and a trunk release button on the keyless enty remote. The red illumination of the gauges took awhile to get use to as well. I am getting 25 MPG in mixed driving, I was hoping for a little better. Other than that I can't complain.

Great to feel young again.
By MMTech1 on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the car. Test drove alot of cars before buying this one. Have the 2002 LX 5 speed. Was driving a Jeep SUV and switched to the mazda and now I feel like I'm in High School again. Took a 5 hour drive down the coast line for a week end trip and had blast. My wife said if she new it would shave 20 years off my life she would have got me one a long time ago.

Great car!
By AKnight on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have put 2000 miles on it the first month I've had it - fun to drive and great highway gas mileage. And to think I almost bought a Neon - so glad I didn't.