2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Poor Girl's Sports Car
By redhed on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my little Protege! It's fun to drive, is awesome in corners, and looks great. I still get a thrill when I see it all shined up, even more than a year after buying it (mine is black, with a mask on the front). I laughingly call it my "poor girl's sports car" because it's the closest thing to a sports car I can afford. I'm very pleased with the handling and performance of this car. After test driving one, I knew I had to have it! It gives me the sporty look I like, but has the room for me to play "soccer mom" when toting my teenager and her friends around.

Best compact for the money
By doucetd on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a second car and looked at Mazda, Honda, Corolla, and Sentra. All great cars and each with its own character. But, when it was time to buy, Mazda offered the best deal($3000 better than any of the above with the same features) and was by far and away, the best car. Drives with aplomb, handles suberbly, breaks better than my Seville, interior is flawlessy designed and Quality is built in. Acceleration is more than I would expect from a compact car. I enjoy the comfort of this car better than my Cadillac--all though it does lack many digital gadgits. Overall, I would but this car again in a heart beat.

fun fun fun
By mike b on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

best car in its class, hands down. the engine isn't going to win any awards for refinement and there are a few more interior rattles than i'd prefer (although that may be due to autoXing), but in terms of styling, handling, braking and overall driving experience, this car has it all over Civics, Corollas, Sentras and the like.

es sport auto
By linwoodestates on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

car has very stiff suspension but that is it, sport auto on es is fun and only 95.00! smartly designed car as well, very reliable, have had no problems, driving 30000 miles a year.

5 speed zip
By stude30 on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was at the dealer too look into purchasing a PT Cruiser. The maroon Protege was sitting on the showroom floor with a spoiler and regular wheels (not aluminum). It was a left over with all options except the wheels,sunroof and automatic. I drove the car and bought it as it handled fantatastically and had much more zip than a PT Crusier. My wife and I both love a manual trans. The gas mileage is around 28.7 in combined driving. The 130 HP four could use maybe 10-15 more horses as you have too wind it up to keep up with traffic from a light.

Great handling and looks but lacking.
By RDB on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun to drive. Without question the best handling car for the money. This car has a great engine and a nice interior. Small things need changing to make this car the best small car.Rear window is hard to see out of when backing up. Gas mileage could be better. Expierenced average of 17.3mpg in mixed driving. Best highway mileage expierenced was 24. Both way below the sticker. Only other complaints were build quality and broken trunk release. Build quality not up to Honda or Toyota.

Reviewing the Protege
By MackDadam on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love to drive it, looks great and feels great. Interior looks quality made, no cheap plastic here. But it lacks power, needs more than 130 hp but it still gets me places. If having to choose between reliability and speed I would choose reliability and that is why I chose the protege. Never gives me a problem (knock on wood...hope not) and people are attracted to it, saying they did not know mazda made a car like that. Overall, great car, needs boost though.

02 LX, automatic with 6 disk cd/moonroof
By kdavis on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car, wish we had know about it before we bought an Eclipe for my self. This car outperforms the Eclipse in everyway except gas milage and radio. Maybe I can trade the other car in, this time for a manual.

never buy mazda
By kipp on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

two starters one alternator and still no fix for running rough. the vehicle has lost it's value quicker than anything i have ever owned. it's trade in value after one year of ownership has been cut in half. i would never buy another mazda.

Buy One!
By HowieinVA on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the steal of the century. I bought mine new in '03 as it was one of the few '02's left at the dealership and got a great discount on it. For an econonomy car price you get one of the most fun and well built cars on the road. If I had $25k to spend on a car, I think I'd still would have bought my 5spd Protege ES. This car has so much poise and is so easy to drive at any speed. It handles like a miata, looks great, is comfy and man does it love to play! This is my 3rd Protege and definitely the best so far. I highly recommend this car.