2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Best buy!
By Linny on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wouldn't buy any other car. Mazda is the greatest car for the money, very reliable and smooth ride with a kick.

overall, a great bang for the buck!
By MazdaProtege1 on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year and a half and have absolutely fell in love with it. The ride is quiet and smooth and the placement of eveything is wonderful. It's so fun to drive down the road, especially with the wonderful stereo system and the comfortable seats. And the best part about it is that it's like riding in a Lexus, but for thousands less than a Honda. Honda's are cheaper, in my opinion, and have horrible styling. This car offers style, comfort, affordablitiy, and dependability.

Few minor problems BUT still love car!!
By Sherry2004 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car but I have had a few mishaps. First, two Dunlop tires were damaged after a mishap with a curb and not too hard of a hit. The tire walls were damaged after 9 months of owning the car. No warranty on the tires and Dunlop would not consider the tires to be defective. A small part broke on the cars heating fan, CD has started to skip but was covered under warranty. The service at the dealership has been impeccable.

Needs more ZOOM ZOOM!!!!!
By mazda02 on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my mazda in 2003 i have had it for a little over 7 mths i got it with 16000 miles on it now it has 33500 miles i drive a lot. beacuse i drive so much i needed something that gets good gas i get about 25mpg which is much better than i got in my toyota tacoma although i miss hitting the mud puddles and off roading i like the lil mazda

Fun car - needs more power
By Dan Charlebois on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Protoge in October of 2002 and it now has 11500 miles on it. The handling of the car is more than I could have expected. The car has very precise steering (perhaps a bit of oversteer) and the suspension is tighter than most in its class. This makes cornering quite fun, especially with the 195/50 R16 Dunlap tires. Living in Syracuse I had to buy a set of Blizzak's to get anywhere. The Dunlap's were useless in snow. If I had a problem with the car it would be that it lacks power. The engine doesn't get into its power band until around 4000 rpm. I highly recommend the 5 speed to get full enjoyment of the engine.

A low power beauty
By Lin on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car that is low on power. Beware of an annoying auto trans whine between 24 and 38 mph with light throttle. Mazda states this noise is normal for auto trans models. 195/50X16 Dunlops are good tires, but usualy takes a few days to locate.

Way more interesting than the others
By lesliej on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying this car I test drove EVERYTHING in similar classes- it took me a year to buy a new car. This was the most functional and fun to drive car of them all. The year that I've had the car has confirmed my initial impression & I'm very happy with my purchase. The suspension is tight which gives it a rougher ride than others but as a result it handles way better. Good driver's car with great visibility and manouverability. No mechanical problems.

The Greates Car Ever
By jcg44498 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Protege was my first new car and it was the greatest decision I ever made. A year later, it runs great and I got a good deal on it. It is so comfortable and stylish. When considering vehicles to buy, the Protege stood out as the best all around value for the options I could get for the price. I don't regret anything about buying my Protege and definitely recommend it for someone buying their first car.

Dont miss out! This car's a GEM!
By Happy with Mazda on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 4 door 2002 ES Model in Seabreeze -(Light Aqua/Green) as a leftover in Jan of 03. This was a great move, the car is reliable, good price, GREAT looking inside AND out, and ALOT peppier than youd expect. Also very comfortable. The 6CD changer and sunroof make great toys for the price. Safety is covered with the airbags and brakes... I highly recommend this car!

Excellent
By buffet2 on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first new car that I have purchased. I have enjoyed the car! It is roomier than it's competitors. With a family and a busy schedule, that is really important. I am still getting high gas mileage even though the car is a year old. It was difficult at first to get used to a 4 cylinder, but this car still has enough horsepower that I don't seem to notice it anymore.