Used 2002 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Great car!
By bmd8534

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used almost 4 years ago and love it! It is fun to drive, sporty, and gets pretty good gas mileage. It has enough pep and pick-up for me, but I can see how some people would want more hp. I have had a few problems with it - I've changed the thermostat, replaced both belts after they shredded, and have replaced the brakes twice. But it was a used car and has more than 80K miles on it so I figure it's going to have some problems. Nonetheless, I love my car and am looking into the Mazda 3 for my next car. Mazda delivers on its "zoom zoom" promise.

Stylish, fun to drive, gas mileage

Road noise, bumpy ride, a little scary on very windy days

My Amazing Mazda Protege LX 5spd.
By littlemissinjured

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My parents bought this car for me when I was 15. I loved it then, and I love it now. It is more than reliable and very good on gas. On average I get up to 34 mpg - somehow. Learning to drive this car was a breeze. The clutch is great and hasn't gone out on me yet. I drive it to school and back daily, so that's at least 40-45 miles. The only problem I've had is that sometimes my gears stick and my trunk popping mechanism was broken. But, it got fixed. I highly recommend this vehicle to new drivers and drivers who want the feel of a sports car wrapped up into a sporty, fun to drive sedan.

I love the display. The colors are so vibrant, fun, and easy to read even during the darkest of nights. The handling is great. Some may think its touchy, but I think it's easier to drive. I love that it's a 5 speed manual also. Making it a manual transmission adds more fun to the driving experience.

I have no suggestions other than possibly a 6th gear. Overall, this is a great car.

This car saved my life!
By Patrick

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May of 05 with only 23,000 miles on it but in Oct of 07 I was going to work and a deer ran out and hit my car just after buying very expensive winter tires. The funny part was that I made it home even after getting hit by a deer.

Sunroof, stock CD player, loads of standard features. This car saved my life after hitting a deer.

Better all-season tires for 16" wheels.

After 6 years it's still fun to drive!
By JimmyJam

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since I just got out of college. I have revved the engine to redline on a regular basis (I have a stick), and maxed out at a top speed of over 140 mph (on the way to Vegas - note the throttle just shuts out till your speed drops down). I have to say that this is probably the best car I have ever owned for the price! I have only done quasi regular oil changes, one set of breaks, one set of tires, and a fluid/transmission flush, oh and a battery replacement, that's it! No lights or fuses have been replaced, I have never even replaced the batteries in my remote keyless! The spare set still looks brand new! She is paid off, and I am keeping her and getting a CX7!

Love the white face gauges.

Quieter interior.

excellent car
By joel

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Got it used but have had no problems with it. It has dual overhead cams which means a more powerful than average engine. Car handles very well and has enough power even with a full load of passengers and a full trunk. Get about 23 mpg in the city and about 29 mpg highway which isn't bad for a 2 liter engine.

Strong reliable engine and tranny.

Better fuel economy.