2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
not that great
By justen on 01/07/05 02:35 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 02 Protege new and had it only 2 days when the stereo shorted out. Then the CD player broke after they fixed it. Five months later the stereo went out again and then driving the car from Arizona to Chicago the engine blew because of a bad head; now when the car goes above 60 it shakes very badly. The rims also rusted, more than any other car I have owned during winter. The heater also smells very bad when it gets to about 30 degrees outside.

Adequate performance and reliable
By lzp on 12/27/04 02:21 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's my first car. Bought it new in August 2002. Have been driving it ever since then and no real problems occured. If I have to be really picky, then here are some minor issues: (1) twice in winter morning, with temperature at around minus 20 celsius (I live in Toronto), the stereo stopped functioning --- the problem disappeared next day. (2) experiences over snowy roads is not as good, especially when making turns, the car could slide sideways. (3) My girl friend complained that air circulation is restrained in certain modes; from reading the reviews here that seems to be a common complain, but it didn't bother me that much. Overall, the car has been fun to drive and reliable.

Classy
By Racer1978 on 12/11/04 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my old 2002 Toyota Celica GT (engine went at 19,000mi). I had looked at other cars, namely the Audi A4 but decided against it due to high maintainence costs. Then I looked at this 2002 Mazda Protege ES which provided a BMW like driving experience along with an attractive, sporty interior/exterior. I have had this car almost 7 months; there have been no problems whatsoever. Which is suprising since I learned to drive standard on this car. You would think all the bucking, stalling and over revving would have damaged it, I guess not. The car is as strong as ever *knock on wood.* Great car for the money.

02 Protege
By jetskier111 on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great, fun and reliable car. I really enjoy the look of the exterior and the interior has done extremely well. It runs solid and true, may not be the fastest out there, but then again that wasnt its goal! If your looking for something that isnt a driving appliance- has reliability and is safe, check this one out.

Great car!
By g8rforester on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As of today I have 54683 miles in less than two years and not one problem with the vehicle. I do primarily highway driving and I change the oil every 5k. This is the first Mazda I have owned and it will NOT be the last!!

Transmission is great
By Agly on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a DX with a stick. It's better than 5sp on first generation Legacy, but worse than that on Civics. Seats are as good as those on Subaru and are WAY better than seats on Civics. Lateral support is okay.

Great Little Car with Character
By gege on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall great value

High Value budget sports sedan
By movieye on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In LA, with gas pushing past $2.50 a gallon, I decided to replace my 2000 BMW 325 with something fun to drive but economical. I was delighted to find a 2002 Protege ES with only 8800 miles on it at a Toyota dealership. 5-speed, moonroof, 6-CD stereo - the Protege is a blast to drive - much more responsive than the BMW! I wish it had leather but for the money, I can always add leather later. Great buy. I've seen people complain about its gas mileage, but I'm coming from a premium gas 6-cylinder BMW that drank $40/tank so this is a major improvement.

my rating
By Mark Lester on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just wanted to SAY that i love my mazda. I'ts my first car and i'm glad i got it. You should get one to.

Good buy...
By chrisfenl on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my Protege and am glad I decided to purchase it. It has more power than other small sedans that I've driven, has very reponsive gas and break input, and handles incredibly well. The suspension is fairly tight, so you feel bumps more, but this also makes turning feel more stable. It's a great car, and I plan on holding onto mine for a long time.