2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Great car!
By bmd8534 on 11/30/08 12:56 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used almost 4 years ago and love it! It is fun to drive, sporty, and gets pretty good gas mileage. It has enough pep and pick-up for me, but I can see how some people would want more hp. I have had a few problems with it - I've changed the thermostat, replaced both belts after they shredded, and have replaced the brakes twice. But it was a used car and has more than 80K miles on it so I figure it's going to have some problems. Nonetheless, I love my car and am looking into the Mazda 3 for my next car. Mazda delivers on its "zoom zoom" promise.

My Amazing Mazda Protege LX 5spd.
By littlemissinjured on 11/25/08 21:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My parents bought this car for me when I was 15. I loved it then, and I love it now. It is more than reliable and very good on gas. On average I get up to 34 mpg - somehow. Learning to drive this car was a breeze. The clutch is great and hasn't gone out on me yet. I drive it to school and back daily, so that's at least 40-45 miles. The only problem I've had is that sometimes my gears stick and my trunk popping mechanism was broken. But, it got fixed. I highly recommend this vehicle to new drivers and drivers who want the feel of a sports car wrapped up into a sporty, fun to drive sedan.

This car saved my life!
By Patrick on 09/26/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May of 05 with only 23,000 miles on it but in Oct of 07 I was going to work and a deer ran out and hit my car just after buying very expensive winter tires. The funny part was that I made it home even after getting hit by a deer.

After 6 years it's still fun to drive!
By JimmyJam on 08/23/08 01:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since I just got out of college. I have revved the engine to redline on a regular basis (I have a stick), and maxed out at a top speed of over 140 mph (on the way to Vegas - note the throttle just shuts out till your speed drops down). I have to say that this is probably the best car I have ever owned for the price! I have only done quasi regular oil changes, one set of breaks, one set of tires, and a fluid/transmission flush, oh and a battery replacement, that's it! No lights or fuses have been replaced, I have never even replaced the batteries in my remote keyless! The spare set still looks brand new! She is paid off, and I am keeping her and getting a CX7!

excellent car
By joel on 06/17/08 09:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Got it used but have had no problems with it. It has dual overhead cams which means a more powerful than average engine. Car handles very well and has enough power even with a full load of passengers and a full trunk. Get about 23 mpg in the city and about 29 mpg highway which isn't bad for a 2 liter engine.

Original owner, 113K miles
By Ray on 12/06/07 22:17 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've just made my final payment. I have had not a single problem with the car. In fact the first set of brake pads lasted 90K miles and I am on my 3rd set of tires. The combination of good fuel economy, bulletproof reliability, well appointed interior, and great handling make this car a winner. If you can find a used one that has been well maintained buy it, especially the ES model.

Flawless
By Viener Vanker on 10/25/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new. No problems whatsoever. At 72,000 miles, still on original brakes. They never wear out.

Should have bought a Civic
By canadiancarguy on 07/26/07 05:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2.0 ES GT with a 5 spd brand new back in 01. The car was the best value in its class (for Japanese makes). Engine has always sounded rattley at start up, though this hasn't caused a real problem yet. The EGR valve needed replacement at about 60,000 kms. Now at 75,000 kms the alternator failed. These two problems don't bother me as much as the corrosion problems I have had with this car. I live in Toronto, and they use road salt heavily, but it is still no excuse for the amount of rust this thing has on it for its age. Every piece of metal attached to this car is rusty , body panels or any mechanical part. Even the horn has failed due to corrosion. Mazda is still behind the rest.

Great Car For the Money
By mung35 on 07/05/07 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After having gone 1500 miles in the last month in this car, I've come to know it fairly well. It has a lot of zip and performs great in all conditions. Awesome cornering and acceleration, great build quality and everything feels like it was made from premium materials. With that said, it has a few quirks. Clutch makes a strange noise when engaged below 1500 rpm. Also, fabric of the seats charges up your clothes and you so that the car shocks you everytime you reach for the door. Gas mileage isn't up to par with the Honda/Toyota counterparts; however those two lack the zip necessary to make a car fun. Being a previous Civic owner, I can vouch.

Great lil' mobile
By ann80 on 02/03/07 20:15 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really like this car. It's fun to drive, good in the snow, takes turns well. I take pretty good care of it and it takes better care of me. I would recommend this Mazda to anyone.