Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Poor Girl's Sports Car
By redhed

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my little Protege! It's fun to drive, is awesome in corners, and looks great. I still get a thrill when I see it all shined up, even more than a year after buying it (mine is black, with a mask on the front). I laughingly call it my "poor girl's sports car" because it's the closest thing to a sports car I can afford. I'm very pleased with the handling and performance of this car. After test driving one, I knew I had to have it! It gives me the sporty look I like, but has the room for me to play "soccer mom" when toting my teenager and her friends around.

I love the way it hugs the roads in corners. It really has a lot of pep. I also like its appearance, and think it is more than competition for some of the higher-priced competitive models.

It would be nice if the rear-window defroster automatically turned off.

Best compact for the money
By doucetd

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a second car and looked at Mazda, Honda, Corolla, and Sentra. All great cars and each with its own character. But, when it was time to buy, Mazda offered the best deal($3000 better than any of the above with the same features) and was by far and away, the best car. Drives with aplomb, handles suberbly, breaks better than my Seville, interior is flawlessy designed and Quality is built in. Acceleration is more than I would expect from a compact car. I enjoy the comfort of this car better than my Cadillac--all though it does lack many digital gadgits. Overall, I would but this car again in a heart beat.

Ride and comfort are superb. This is a nice niche car,has Quality built in, and gives you a solid feel of rubber meeting the road..

More cupholders.The passenger seat has a gap between the top and bottom portion and consequently, items tend to slide through the gap and fall on the back floor.

fun fun fun
By mike b

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

best car in its class, hands down. the engine isn't going to win any awards for refinement and there are a few more interior rattles than i'd prefer (although that may be due to autoXing), but in terms of styling, handling, braking and overall driving experience, this car has it all over Civics, Corollas, Sentras and the like.

Peppy engine, STRONG brakes and sharp, precise handling. Fun to drive factor. "Protege people" are a kind of little community.

a few more ponies please, along with a few less engine dBs at high rpms. initial depreciation is a killer.

es sport auto
By linwoodestates

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

car has very stiff suspension but that is it, sport auto on es is fun and only 95.00! smartly designed car as well, very reliable, have had no problems, driving 30000 miles a year.

5 speed zip
By stude30

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was at the dealer too look into purchasing a PT Cruiser. The maroon Protege was sitting on the showroom floor with a spoiler and regular wheels (not aluminum). It was a left over with all options except the wheels,sunroof and automatic. I drove the car and bought it as it handled fantatastically and had much more zip than a PT Crusier. My wife and I both love a manual trans. The gas mileage is around 28.7 in combined driving. The 130 HP four could use maybe 10-15 more horses as you have too wind it up to keep up with traffic from a light.

Low wide tires stick to the roadand make the car very tossable.AM/FM cassete-CD player. Very comfortable interior. I like the stiffer ride than a Corolla or Civic. The unusual Moroon color and spoiler make it look better than any other Protege on the rode.

Could use 10-15 more HP.